Advice for newcomers to fish with electric boat near Atlanta

JR924

New to forum. 2nd post. Looking for electric boat only calm lake or large pond near Atlanta (1 hour one-way trip maximum) to take good friend and son. I am not a good fisherman but want to give them a good time. Have narrow trolling motor boat to lend them. Boat very easy to operate. I will watch from bank. The father is taking boating safety course. Want to avoid rivers, large lakes, heavy traffic and rude people to keep them safe and interested in the sport. Do not care what fish to catch but would like as much probability of success, variety in species and size as possible. Not keeping any fish. Going only one time this year due to his schedule. I plan to explore waters farther away myself. and graduate to slow current rivers and creeks. Everything near Atlanta seems over fished so worried they will get bored quickly. Thinking of Clearwater State Park next Thursday, fishing from 10 am to 1 pm. Weather looks warm and cloudy that day. Bait shop says lake starts getting crowded on that day but no where as bad as the Friday and the Weekend. Lake not stocked in 2 years I was told and dam has ongoing spillway construction, Not ideal time to fish but Father is always busy. Bait shop said to ask locals and experienced fishermen. Any suggestions on this and alternative sites to fish, where to put boat in (do not need boat ramp but easier), what species of fish to try for, bait and lures to use, fishing spots at the recommended fishing site, fishing techniques and any other helpful advice. Guide too expensive. Thank you in advance.

weagle

Welcome to the forum.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but with 50+ years of experience fishing this part of the state I'd say your chances of success are very low given your specific circumstance. New anglers, unfamiliar with areas, unfamiliar with boat, unfamiliar with tackle, unfamiliar with bait and techniques, narrow window of time available.

Anyway here goes: If your guests are not familiar with tackle and casting / reeling etc, get a couple of zebco 33's on medium 6 ft rods. They probably have a suitable rig in a kit at the big box stores for under $30. Take a few minutes before they get in the boat to familiarize them with casting.

Buy a box of red wigglers and a cage of crickets. Show them how to bait the hooks. Set your hooks 18" under a float about the size of a golf ball with a small split shot.

Have them move along the shore casting a couple yards from shore. If they don't get a hit in 30 seconds, reel in a few feet and wait another few seconds, then reel in and cast to a different spot. If they catch a fish make a few more casts to that spot to see if they get another hit.

Alternatively, if they are somewhat familiar with casting / reeling: Tie on a small white or yellow rooster tail or beetle spin and cast and reel along the shore with a medium speed retrieve. Just keep casting and cranking.

There are literally a million different things to learn, but these are easy and specific and give you a decent chance of at least catching something.

Don't just sit in one spot watching a float with a bait under it. It's boring. Keep moving and casting and reeling. if nothing else they will improve their skills and that is an accomplishment in itself.

Last edited:

Old Yapper

Welcome to the forum.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but with 50+ years of experience fishing this part of the state I'd say your chances of success are very low given your specific circumstance. New anglers, unfamiliar with areas, unfamiliar with boat, unfamiliar with tackle, unfamiliar with bait and techniques, narrow window of time available.

Anyway here goes: If your guests are not familiar with tackle and casting / reeling etc, get a couple of zebco 33's on medium 6 ft rods. They probably have a suitable rig in a kit at the big box stores for under $30. Take a few minutes before they get in the boat to familiarize them with casting.

Buy a box of red wigglers and a cage of crickets. Show them how to bait the hooks. Set your hooks 18" under a float about the size of a golf ball with a small split shot.

Have them move along the shore casting a couple yards from shore. If they don't get a hit in 30 seconds, reel in a few feet and wait another few seconds, then reel in and cast to a different spot. If they catch a fish make a few more casts to that spot to see if they get another hit.

Alternatively, if they are somewhat familiar with casting / reeling: Tie on a small white or yellow rooster tail or beetle spin and cast and reel along the shore with a medium speed retrieve. Just keep casting and cranking.

There are literally a million different things to learn, but these are easy and specific and give you a decent chance of at least catching something.

Don't just sit in one spot watching a float with a bait under it. It's boring. Keep moving and casting and reeling. if nothing else they will improve their skills and that is an accomplishment in itself.
^Ditto to what he said.
Realistically speaking, your odds of success within the parameters you've described are about like standing at a freeway exit ramp and some honey stops in a cadillac and says…"Hey good looking, whatcha' got cooking? How's about cooking something up with me? (that's words from an old song by Hank Williams..the real one)
That doesn't mean your guests won't enjoy themselves though. Go for it and see what happens. For me, just being out there on the water is a blessing.(y)

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
First off... Welcome to The Campfire! I agree with the Tiger up there ^^^. If you can't catch at least one fish on crickets, there ain't no fish in the lake. If you're looking for a alternative lake, try Lake Acworth. It's a little difficult to get to due to road construction on Hwy. #92 between Hwy. #41 and I-75, but is a good electric only lake with ramp and drains into Lake Allatoona.
PM sent.

Last edited:

cuda67bnl

Bream fishing is great at Fort Yargo. I caught 20 yesterday goofing off with red wigglers. I’m sure you could do the same with a beetle spin if you’re into casting......

JR924

Thank you for the good advice. Checked out Acworth Lake. Clean and well maintained and close to home. Not crowded on weekdays. Guests do not have fishing tackle so blind leading the blind. Also checked out Joe' mart bait shop- Citgo joe’s mart Bait Shop. Beats Walmart experience. Will stop there too. Want to make sure they can handle the bait I buy. Neighbor kids can handle crickets but not worms so who knows what the teenager will handle. Have changed trip title to boating and swimming triip with some fishing. At least I may get a fishing buddy I can out fish. That would be a first. I will check out the other lake suggestions myself. Best wishes.

JR924

Went to Acworth Lake yesterday but got in late at 1:30 pm. Father caught a nice crappie. They both had a good time and want to fish again. They both bought annual fishing licenses. Thanks again for the good advice.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Went to Acworth Lake yesterday but got in late at 1:30 pm. Father caught a nice crappie. They both had a good time and want to fish again. They both bought annual fishing licenses. Thanks again for the good advice.
Did you get that PM I sent you?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Best to hook up with an experienced person.