Ossabaw Island hunt

DCarter001

My son took a button buck. We didn't get into the hogs like some did. Only saw two and they left quick. Heard some in the marsh a time or two, but never could spot them or pinpoint their exit out of the marsh.

breadfan

I'll be making my 11th trip to the island next week. I noticed that you can now go to the island on Tuesday at 12:00 noon, and check in is 9:00AM Wed. I wish I had the time off to get there Tuesday, as it is, it will be early Wed. morning for me. Do a lot of people go on Tuesday now that it's open a day early to set up camp? I'm kinda bumming about it, it's gong to be hard to get the spots I want. But being there is good enough for me.

RamblinWreck

I'm going next week, too. Seems in all the previous 3 times I went, you couldn't go over until Wed noon. So I took Tuesday off as well. Maybe I can walk to my area on Wed and scout a bit, hang my lock-on. Hoping so, anyway. I'm bringing my thermal scope to help spot critters, and my NV to play with, since they drop you off so early. Weather looks good so far; maybe a little rain Saturday...

So, if you see a guy wearing a helmet with a PVS-14, that would be me. :D

breadfan

I'm going next week, too. Seems in all the previous 3 times I went, you couldn't go over until Wed noon. So I took Tuesday off as well. Maybe I can walk to my area on Wed and scout a bit, hang my lock-on. Hoping so, anyway. I'm bringing my thermal scope to help spot critters, and my NV to play with, since they drop you off so early. Weather looks good so far; maybe a little rain Saturday...

So, if you see a guy wearing a helmet with a PVS-14, that would be me. :D

I will look out for you. I will be the only one (I'm sure) wearing a blaze orange camo hat. Stop and say hi if you spot me.

stick-n-string

BTW, the $75 is per person. On the hog hunt I was there a guy forgot his gun in the truck, he called the ferry and asked if he would come get him to get his gun,he was told it would be another $75. So don't forget nothing.

We hunted with that guy. Another guy loaned him an extra gun so he could hunt.
We had a good hunt. Between me and my buddy we killed 17 hogs in 2.5 days

ehunt

I'm headed down Tuesday. My uncle should be there Wednesday. Weather looks like it will be dry and warm during the day.

RamblinWreck

Yup. Bring plenty of repellent.

Making my Island pile now, and trying to make it smaller. I did borrow a cart to help haul my gear, and past experience tells me I need less than half of what I am bringing. Decided against the 300 Blackout AR since no suppressors allowed and I don't have time to check zero without it, so the stainless Winchester 270 model 70 will get the nod. Also can leave the heaters and long johns behind. Trying to go as light as possible... but not too light! Hoping for a fun and productive hunt. See y'all there!

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Mosquitoes were still bad on the Adult/Child hunt 2 weeks ago and the temps looks to be similar. Repellent kept them from biting but the Thermocell also kept them from biting and you didn't having to hear them fly around. The first day we only had the repellent.:banginghe

ehunt

Packed and headed down tomorrow. I'll beat my uncle there early by 1 day. Managed to get ALL my stuff in 3 big hauls-
Garbage can
Hunting gear box on wheels
Deer cart loaded with cooler and small grill.

If y'all see me struggling up the ramps please help!:fine:

ehunt

OH yeah my 7mm-08 and 35 both got the call to do the dirty work. So I'll have a back up

RamblinWreck

Truck is loaded. Now for a nap, a shower, make a coffee, and hit the road. Will get ice and top off my cooler in Richmond Hill, and grab anything else I forgot. Safe travels to all...

ehunt

Here is our pok chops. We skinned out 1 day early. My 35 seized up the 1st morning if the hunt but I had a back up at camp. Weather was awesome. My best trip to the island so far. The hot water in the shower house is way worth the cost of our license. Wish there were as many hogs as there was in years past. Mr. Green jeans are really knocking a dent in the hogs at the island. My opinion. Deer quality seems to be better cause of this I guess? Can't wait to go back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 559

CW9444

We hunted with that guy. Another guy loaned him an extra gun so he could hunt.
We had a good hunt. Between me and my buddy we killed 17 hogs in 2.5 days
So funny reading this thread now. Mattech, I AM the guy who forgot the gun and bow in the truck. Thanks to Stick-N-String and a few other great folks, I was able to take my first pig. Can't wait for my next trip to the island!