Ossabaw Island Dock Fishing

oldfatbubba

I will be hunting hogs on Ossabaw Island in January and have heard that Whiting can be caught off the dock. What sort of rig would be suitable? Would an ultralight spinning rod be too small? 8lb test?

RHFisherman

It will work for whiting, but wouldn't want to hook anything else. Even a small bonnethead will tear that rig up. Just be ready to re-tie and you'll be fine or else you will have to start looking at some heavier leader material.

multiple hooks, sinkers, and live bait = good
expensive artificial lure you just bought = bad

Knotmuch

For whiting, I have used Zebco 33's with 10lb test many times. Now I prefer spinning reels with braid on a 7' medium rod. Also I use #1 Aberdeen hooks, it makes getting the hook out much easier and you can bend it back in place.

oldfatbubba

For whiting, I have used Zebco 33's with 10lb test many times. Now I prefer spinning reels with braid on a 7' medium rod. Also I use #1 Aberdeen hooks, it makes getting the hook out much easier and you can bend it back in place.
Thank you! How strong is the current? What size weight did you use? I was planning to use a Whiting rig with squid or shrimp. Thoights?

Blackston

Thank you! How strong is the current? What size weight did you use? I was planning to use a Whiting rig with squid or shrimp. Thoights?
It can Rip in Newell creek

Huntrman

We have caught a good many whiting off that dock during our deer hunts. Spinning or bass fishing outfit with a simple Carolina rig and a small piece of shrimp always did the trick. As stated before, the current can rip pretty good so adjust weight accordingly. Good luck!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`d use a rig just like you use for freshwater bass. That`s what I use for whiting, flounder, speckled trout, reds, and sheephead.

Blackston

I’ll add I prefer to peel shrimp chunk when bottom fishing ( daddy would put me on the dock when he’d work in shrimp boat for hours , The dock was on Kilkenny creek so not far from where you’ll be ) I became a proficient bottom fisher

Latest posts