If You Had Your Choice

Redbow

Yep, no need to bring a dog unless you planned to eat it if not any other food found.
Many folks will not go anywhere without their dog. You would be surprised how many folks go boating here on the NC coast with their dog along with them. Lots of folks traveling the Intracoastal Waterway on sailboats have dogs along with them also. Some even carry their dog to a doctors office with them.

basshappy

BANNED
Absolutely yes IF I had no son, or my son was with me. No dog needed. Just he and I alone in the woods would be amazing. Now say I never had a son, then yes no hesitation off to the woods I go. LOL. Temperature has never been anything I have complained about. Insects as well. Spent years eating rice cake and drinking water (wrestling) and going without for days. I love the great outdoors and not hearing a leaf blower (usually a man blowing 23 leaves 45 feet), not seeing a homeless help sign, not hearing music I dislike in a car, etc etc etc. Sweet Jesus if only. :)

Redbow

I had rather have a dog with me than a human, the dog won't complain about insects, heat, cold, the weather, etc, nor talk back to you.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would migrate, like our ancestors did. Southern Appalachian mountains in the summer, working my way toward the Gulf coast in the fall and winter.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Might have considered it decades ago. Too old and soft now.

oldfella1962

I went solo on a fly-in (floatplane) fishing trip for about a week when I was stationed in Alaska. Just a rubber inflatable raft, a tent, some canned food, and fishing gear. I wasn't planning on it, but I ran into a biologist doing field work, and two teachers from Fairbanks whose floatplane dropped them off near where I was camping for some of the time. But other than that, just me and the bears and the fish and a few more birds & critters here & there.

transfixer

I'm fairly sure I could do a month, the problem is I would want it to be the the mountains of N.Ga/Tn/or NC, and hunting and fishing would be easier and game more plentiful in the flatlands, specifically in southern swamps, and that isn't my favorite environment

Hoss

I would have to pick somewhere out west with some trout streams. Growing up in Iowa, give me some wide open spaces. Course that’s one of the reason I can’t do it anymore, thin air and steep climbs. Back in my younger days on the pack packing trip, we went over a couple of passes that you would hike up about 50 yards and have to stop and admire the scenery (known as catch your breath).

Last edited:

Redbow

I remember one of those Alaska shows don't remember which one a guy out in the Alaska wilderness all alone made the comment that he was 180 miles from the nearest road. I told my Wife I could do that with no problems living that far from civilization. She just turned her head and looked at me didn't say a word. Her look told me I would be by myself if I decided to do that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I remember one of those Alaska shows don't remember which one a guy out in the Alaska wilderness all alone made the comment that he was 180 miles from the nearest road. I told my Wife I could do that with no problems living that far from civilization. She just turned her head and looked at me didn't say a word. Her look told me I would be by myself if I decided to do that.
Alaska would be great for about three months of the year. The rest of the time it's trying to not die from frozen.

transfixer

Alaska would be great for about three months of the year. The rest of the time it's trying to not die from frozen.

Yeah, the coldest environment I've ever been in was in Yellowstone Montana, I rode snowmobiles in -14 degree weather, of course I was wearing a snowmobile suit, extreme cold weather boots, gloves, full face helmet, and the snowmobile had heated grips, and a shroud for your lower legs and feet , it was still cold! I wouldn't want to have to live in that cold, and Alaska as well as Montana can get much, much colder than -14 degrees !

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

That`s where I almost went in 1974. Had the info from the state, had the area all mapped out, was gonna find a place along the Chandalar River 150 miles or so above Fairbanks. And let my Mother talk me out of it.

transfixer

yeah, very few females are good with situations like that !