Different/New Destinations

slow motion

See what you caused @Nicodemus ::ke: :bounce: :cheers:

@HuntinJake_23 we used to camp at Grayton Beach State Park. Haven't been there in quite a few years but used to be a low key area. Not secluded but not like PCB or further west while still having the pretty beach and clear water. The lake has or had trout, redfish, and black drum. Probably flounder but never caught any. Depending on season as to the fish in the surf. Once the gate closes for the day and until it reopens its pretty much just the people camping there inside the park. Have some friends who camped in a park that had the gulf on one side and the Atlantic across the highway. Don't recall the name but they enjoyed it. In the keys obviously. Everglades and fishing 10k islands would be a dream trip. Think @doomtrpr_z71 went a few years back. Perhaps he can share some insight. Please keep us updated once you settle on a destination.

doomtrpr_z71

See what you caused @Nicodemus ::ke: :bounce: :cheers:

@HuntinJake_23 we used to camp at Grayton Beach State Park. Haven't been there in quite a few years but used to be a low key area. Not secluded but not like PCB or further west while still having the pretty beach and clear water. The lake has or had trout, redfish, and black drum. Probably flounder but never caught any. Depending on season as to the fish in the surf. Once the gate closes for the day and until it reopens its pretty much just the people camping there inside the park. Have some friends who camped in a park that had the gulf on one side and the Atlantic across the highway. Don't recall the name but they enjoyed it. In the keys obviously. Everglades and fishing 10k islands would be a dream trip. Think @doomtrpr_z71 went a few years back. Perhaps he can share some insight. Please keep us updated once you settle on a destination.
Everglades/10k islands is a dream trip, I went in 20 just before covid got serious, but I bank fished on the drive to the keys down the trail. I am seriously looking at putting together a camping trip to inshore fish and camp in the park this spring.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Everglades/10k islands is a dream trip, I went in 20 just before covid got serious, but I bank fished on the drive to the keys down the trail. I am seriously looking at putting together a camping trip to inshore fish and camp in the park this spring.
Chokoloskee is an excellent choice.
If you take a boat, take extra props.

Last edited:

Lukikus2

Yeah. Someone totally derailed this thread but I can’t help but have my say too! Lol Those cattle were from Spain and went wild. Lived in the marshes and would kill you and the horse you rode in on.

notnksnemor

Yeah. Someone totally derailed this thread but I can’t help but have my say too! Lol Those cattle were from Spain and went wild. Lived in the marshes and would kill you and the horse you rode in on.
My kin never recognized the n in Brahman,
They were Brahma's.
and Granny called them Braymers.

slow motion

We always just called em mean. Whether they were or not with that big hump and most had horns they just looked the part. Them old brindle jersey bulls had bad attitudes as well.

notnksnemor

Granny had big grey bull with the classic black hump named Homer.
Every time she went in the pasture, she would come back with a wet spot on her back where he would nudge her with his snotty nose until she scratched his head.

MudDucker

Staff member
To take us further in the weeds, long long ago, I rode rodeo several times down in Ocala and got acquainted with quite a few crackers. I was intrigued, so I looked up their history. Turns out they originated from primarily Georgia mule /oxen train freighters and got their name from the driver cracking the whip over their animals. Seems a group of them saw all of the wild cattle in central Florida and elected to get out of the freight business and into the cowboy business. They bred their own tough little line of horses known as cracker horses. I owned one for a couple of years and they were as advertised, smart tough little horses. They didn't want tall horses, because it got the horse and rider caught up in the thorny bushes that abounded in Central Florida.

Those guys liked Brahman for two reasons, first, they don't have horns and two they handled the heat well.

Gator89

To take us further in the weeds, long long ago, I rode rodeo several times down in Ocala and got acquainted with quite a few crackers. I was intrigued, so I looked up their history. Turns out they originated from primarily Georgia mule /oxen train freighters and got their name from the driver cracking the whip over their animals. Seems a group of them saw all of the wild cattle in central Florida and elected to get out of the freight business and into the cowboy business. They bred their own tough little line of horses known as cracker horses. I owned one for a couple of years and they were as advertised, smart tough little horses. They didn't want tall horses, because it got the horse and rider caught up in the thorny bushes that abounded in Central Florida.

Those guys liked Brahman for two reasons, first, they don't have horns and two they handled the heat well.

All the bulls we had when I was growing up had stubby horns like the bull in the picture.

We did not have any purebred cows, lots Braford, Brangus, some Charolais and a few Beefmaster, so most of our calves were born with some horn. We dehorned all calves when we worked calves in the spring and summer.

But sometimes my daddy would buy cows that had not been dehorned as calves.

1708977675337.png

Gator89

A Florida Longhorn. Saved off a mama cow we had to send to slaughter when she tested positive for Brucellosis back in the late 1970s. This cow was a beefmaster cross.

These horns have been hanging on the wall of my offices for the past 25 years.

Attachments

• 20240226_150345.jpg
    20240226_150345.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 5

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

Marshtackies!

notnksnemor

Grands on my Dad's side were part of this.
Grannies retirement was selling Braymer calves off a 40 head cow/calf operation.