If You Had Your Choice

Redbow

And you were willing to do this, where would you spend say a month, three months, six months or a year in solitude? Just you and a good dog no other human beings around to help if you got into trouble.

A tent, sleeping bag a fry pan and a pot, a rifle and a good knife plus a fork and spoon to eat with and a fishing rod. Maybe twenty pounds of the food of your choice for the lean days. Otherwise you plan to hunt and fish for your tucker. You can take a boat if you plan to be on or near a lake or river, or the ocean.

How long do you think a modern day man would last out there, well I don't know about me but it would be fun for a while just to tackle this. Along with your dog and whatever surrounds you in nature, sounds cool huh?

There are some islands off Georgetown SC that the Wife and I have been to many times. Rarely did we ever see another boat in those areas, wild and remote but fish, oysters, clams and crabs are abundant. Only thing wrong with that area, the skeeters will tote you off, especially at night and the sand gnats when the wind is light. Maybe in the Great Pee Dee River swamp along the banks of the Great Pee Dee River, you won't starve there but again the little critters will eat you. There are some islands on Santee-Cooper's lake Marion that are rather remote they are actually declared a wilderness area by the state of SC. Mean critters there as well and the Raccoons will steal your food unless it locked down tight.

Just a thought an idea I got for a post from another member who stated a year in solitude away from everything would be good. Well, I don't want to be too far from everything.

I don't want to go too far from civilization just in case something happens.

specialk

dont know, but i do know i'd quit way before i'd worry about food and such running out....loneliness would get me first,,,coludn'tstand being away from love ones very long....

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Solitude in the wilderness somewhere is a romantic dream but it's just that, a dream.
In perfect weather with a good water source that wouldn't kill you with dysentery and with all the accoutrements and supplies you'd need, it'd be an enjoyable break that would probably cause most of us to lose some weight we needed to lose and we'd come back in better shape both mentally and physically than when we left.

Minus all that, it'd be a hot, cold, wet, hungry, insect bitten, sleepless, and sore backed existence that we'd be lucky to survive unless we had the means to quickly and easily get back home.

Doug B.

I'm kinda a lone wolf kind of somebody so I think I could take being by myself for a while, but, eventually it would get to me I guess. But if I could, I would do what you mentioned somewhere in the remote mountains of the western U.S. Colorado, Wyoming, Montana comes to mind. I love the mountains!!!!! Or even here in the mountains of Northeast Georgia!!!

Toliver

I think I will pass on this
Me, too. I like being out in nature but I also really like comfortable beds and hot showers and regularly scheduled food and shelter with climate control and protection from mosquitoes and gnats. I suppose I even like my wife a kids. I could handle a couple of weeks on a hunting trip or something but I wouldn't choose to live in solitude in the wild.

Now come the apocalypse and it's necessary, I have the ability.....I just don't have the desire.

tr21

sounds like a nice vacation ! I hate dealing with people anyway. give me my dog and blackstone and I'll be fine . can we get a option to make it 2 years ? heck 2 years without dealing with idiots or politics and might not come back !

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yes. No dog though.

Hoss

Wasn’t alone, but spent a week backpacking in the High Unitas Wilderness area about 40 years ago. I was with a friend from college. We only saw 2 or 3 people the entire time. It was the most relaxing time I believe I have ever had. Great memory, but too many years have past and health isn’t what it used to be.
I would like to do something like that, but maybe only a couple of weeks. I’d miss getting on here too much.

Redbow

Is there a free 7 day trial period?
I doubt most of us soft bellied men of today would not last 7 days on a wilderness trek, that might depend on where you wanted to spend your time though. In the past my Wife and I used to camp out on an island in Winyah Bay SC, if the wind blew it wasn't too bad, but if not you had better have some critter spray with you. About 2 nights out there is all we could stand.

Across the bay on south island some friends of mine I worked with decided to camp just behind the sand dunes for a night. As night fell the wind died and the sand gnats and skeeters did not let them get one wink of sleep all night long. They never went back to that area for camping again but they did catch a few fish while over there.

These areas where we used to go around Georgetown SC can only be accessed by boat, its dark over there and dangerous to be on the water at night. I have seen whole trees washed up by high water floating down Winyah Bay with the outgoing tide on their way to the ocean. Hit one of those in the dark and you are toast, its a very dangerous area to even visit unless you know the place well. Many people have lost their lives in the Bay and out at the mouth of the bay where the rock jetties are. It pays to watch the weather and know what you are doing if you want to go boating in those remote areas around Georgetown SC.

People often referred to that area as the most dangerous place on the SC coast.

Redbow

It’s a romantic ideal, alot think they could……in a day and age where most can’t go to the toilet without their cell phone :rofl: .
Oh my, just yesterday I went to the bathroom with my cell phone in hand. Guess I would have to have it on a wilderness adventure now also...(y)

slow motion

I like AC. Dont get it at work but trying to sleep while sweating was how I grew up. Prefer not to go back to that. Refrigeration is of man's greatest inventions.

sinclair1

It’s a romantic ideal, alot think they could……in a day and age where most can’t go to the toilet without their cell phone :rofl: .
My sister lived in Ak until recently. She was in the bush since 78. She never told relatives when they flew in on the float plane that cells phones don’t work there, she still had an outhouse when the ground froze and the whole house may go under a snow drift :rofl:A42BE9CC-1F46-48EC-89A4-07E6F96BD11B.jpegD9B82B97-0029-4D21-B116-331555DD904E.jpeg

Last edited:

Redbow

I like AC. Dont get it at work but trying to sleep while sweating was how I grew up. Prefer not to go back to that. Refrigeration is of man's greatest inventions.
We had no refrigeration nor AC when I was growing up, we slept with the windows and doors open in summer. And about froze to death in winter in a non-insulated house with wood heat.

Toliver

Hey now. I can't help the urge hits during a riveting game of Tetris! What if I'm near a high score?

Latest posts