Fernandina Beach Surf Fishing

Mike81

I will be heading down the second week in June. We usually go to SGI but my sister is getting married on Fernandina Beach. I love SGI and know what to throw there to catch some fish but have no experience on the east coast. I will have my bass gear. 7’ spinning rod with 2500-3000 spinning reel. Will there be any trout, reds, pompano, spanish, jacks, running the beach? If so, what artificials do you recommend throwing. Are sand fleas in the area or would dead shrimp work on a pompano rig? Thanks for any advice.

lampern

There is a bridge at the end of the island that is a good spot and a jetty at Fort Clinch at the northern tip to try

Get some fresh shrimp or fish bites

Spoons such as stingsilvers or hopkins to toss for spanish or jacks

Mike81

There is a bridge at the end of the island that is a good spot and a jetty at Fort Clinch at the northern tip to try

Get some fresh shrimp or fish bites

Spoons such as stingsilvers or hopkins to toss for spanish or jacks
Would love to hook a jack or two from the surf. Probably will just fish outside the house we are staying in and not drive to a location due to family and kids. Thank you for info!

Big7

The Oracle
Yes, there are Sand Fleas on the east coast.

Never fished there but Atlantic and Neptune Beach have Trout, Spanish, Whiting and most of the fish you would expect find in the surf.
Atlantic and Neptune ain't very far south of Fernandina. I'd hit the bridges and abutments for Sheepshead, Black Drum and Reds too.

Popping cork, some shrimp and sand fleas should do the trick in the surf and no weight freeline or no weight bobber around the pilings.

I hope to get to Clearwater and Tampa Bay and Causeways before it gets real hot.

Last edited:

lampern

My experience surf fishing, the fresher the shrimp or sandfleas the better.

Walmart in Ferdandina beach will have spoons, jigs and fish bites.

Take two poles- one for casting artificials at any busting fish and one for pompano/bottom rigs.

Last edited:

Mike81

My experience surf fishing, the fresher the shrimp or sandfleas the better.

Walmart in Ferdandina beach will have spoons, jigs and fish bites.

Take two poles- one for casting artificials at any busting fish and one for pompano/bottom rigs.
Hopefully I get lucky and those schools of breaking fish are close enough to reach from the beach.

lampern

I miss the days of breaking bluefish along the Atlantic Coast

There are some but not like they were 25+ years ago