Surf fishing Mexico Beach

Woods1994

Looking for any experience with surf fishing Mexico beach, if its even worth it. I was thinking of just taking my inshore rod and reel trying it out. was also curious if it would be worth it to try and gig some flounder? I've done it in panama city before but not sure if its the same out that way.

Rabun

I’ve not surfed fished MB but lots of inshore down the road around PSJ. Early am top water, swim baits, gold spoons and gulp produced trout and redfish working grass flats and edges of sandbars. Hope you have some luck!!

bilgerat

Senior
Ive tried it and only caught a few catfish and small sharks until a guy on the beach told me I needed to wade out a ways and cast futher out to get the bait past the first sand bar, after that I started getting more bites and caught a few reds and a nice pompano. Ive also caught a few trout and smaller reds from the canal, good luck and have fun!

Robust Redhorse

Off the surf, there are 2 hotspots:

1. Between the shore and the first sandbar (whiting mostly, but trout and reds occasionally)

2. As far out as you can wade...

Robust Redhorse

Get to the first sandbar and wade until you can't wade any farther.

Cast a freshly caught 1/2 fish on a fish-finder rig with a pyramid sinker big enough to hold the bait in place.

Use a wire leader if you care to catch a shark or king mackerel. Use 100 pound mono (or fluoro), if you want to tangle with a tarpon.

This is the 50lb plus mono zone for the big boys. IME, braid can't handle the abrasion from the first sand bar.