First bass of the year - on the first cast!

oldfella1962

A few days ago I figured I would start my 2024 fishing a couple of weeks earlier than usual, to take my mind off my family medical issues. I started out with bluegills, getting some action but nothing big. Makes sense, the water temp is still cool. But the next day I still couldn't locate any schools of big bluegills (fishing a small lake from shore) so I
figured I would switch to bass. Wouldn't you know it, on the first cast using a drop-shot blue & red 5" Zoom worm I had a very solid hit! :) I was using my panfish rod with 4# test since my bass rod (Zebco 33) was in my car. Luckily the bass didn't fight too crazy with the slow metabolism, because 4# line can be problematic. No pics because it wasn't big nor pretty. It's a clear lake so the bass don't have a lot of color - just a uniform greenish color with no pronounced lateral line. But hey, it's in the freezer now and will be in my belly probably tonight. So great to live in Georgia and not have to drill a hole through the ice to fish in February! :LOL:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Nice! Anytime you catch a fish it’s a good day!

Cletus T.

Congrats.....I caught my first fish of 2024 this past weekend.

Actually ended up catching 4 but it felt good to be out on the water!

Hope you have a great year of fishing!