Religion makes another contribution today.

Israel

BANNED
As one whom his mother comforts, so will I comfort you; and you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.

Ya ever see this? Or maybe even something like it. It's seems it's not an unusual experience, in fact I am pretty sure that's why the film makers used it.

I've known lots of tough guys, hard guys, even thought myself one...once. No, not big...nor even imposing physically...but to myself, well, I was "one tough guy".

It seems few men know how grievously wounded they can be to be brought to this. But, yeah, it happens. The tough guy has to "take a powder". At that time it's a wonderful thing to hear the goodness of a mother's love is not a mere fiction, or some jumble of chemicals and neurons...but was a shadow of what's true, and real. A thing to provoke us...to consider. Whether early or late is of no matter, "Who is my mother?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOUJPBziUQw

StriperAddict

Actually, a ***** in my heart would do it. I imagine that a ***** in the heart of believers must be something powerful. It must be undeniable that one is experiencing the agency of an outside source and not their own imagination.

Could not have said it better. Heart stuff realized is much, much more profound than what we 'see', miracle, etc.
Yet the latter makes for a good launch pad

atlashunter

I agree.
And a good example of the point I'm making -

Its pretty clear what "religion" (in this case Christianity) has to say on this particular subject.
I/we know a lot of Christians.
I don't know any that run around putting gay folks to death.
They might agree with the above, they might believe the above is deserved, they might not even have a problem with it if someone else does the putting to death......
but they use their ability to think and choose and say "Nah, I ain't doing that".
So while religion certainly has its share of culpability, its the person who is ultimately responsible.

They are still part of the problem. They keep the ideology going. Sooner or later someone takes it seriously enough to act on it.

WaltL1

They are still part of the problem. They keep the ideology going. Sooner or later someone takes it seriously enough to act on it.
Certainly there are cases of such.
I do wonder however if some/how many of these fruit loops would just find some other reason to do whatever twisted thing they are compelled to do.
If we hold Christianity to that standard, to be fair we would have to hold every darn thing to that standard and I'm thinking there wouldn't be hardly anything left?

atlashunter

Certainly there are cases of such.
I do wonder however if some/how many of these fruit loops would just find some other reason to do whatever twisted thing they are compelled to do.
If we hold Christianity to that standard, to be fair we would have to hold every darn thing to that standard and I'm thinking there wouldn't be hardly anything left?

I know it wasn't original to him but Hitchens used to say evil people will do evil things and good people will do good things but to get good people to do evil things that takes religion.