Blackstone cheese steak suggestions?

cjones

Did cheese steaks on the Blackstone last night. They were good, but I still haven't gotten the seasoning dialed in on the meat.

Any suggestions for how to prepare the meat? I tried adding some Worcestershire to the meat, but it just cooked out and turned into a sugary film on the griddle when I cooked it. I also think I need to get the meat thinner so it doesn't get tough. I've started half-freezing it before slicing, but it's still not quite where I want it.

Any suggestions from the gurus?

Cmp1

BANNED
Ribeye, white American cheese, cooked fast, no need to season the meat,,,, used to do mine on a griddle,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The thinner the better on the meat. I usually add salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic powder and oregano. Same on the peppers and onions. Too much seasoning or flavor on steak meat does more harm than good, IMO. Definitely no marinating. I like provolone cheese on there, too.

cjones

Ribeye, white American cheese, cooked fast, no need to season the meat,,,, used to do mine on a griddle,,,,

The thinner the better on the meat. I usually add salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic powder and oregano. Same on the peppers and onions. Too much seasoning or flavor on steak meat does more harm than good, IMO. Definitely no marinating. I like provolone cheese on there, too.

So what I'm hearing is that I need a meat slicer now, too. :banana: Now I'm off to let my wife in on the news.

I did mention that the next time we do these, I'm going to see if the meat guy at Kroger/Publix will shave the steaks down for me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You can always cheat with thin sliced roast beef from the deli also.

Yep. The Boar's Head rare roast beef from Ingle's makes a great steak sammich.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So what I'm hearing is that I need a meat slicer now, too. :banana: Now I'm off to let my wife in on the news.

I did mention that the next time we do these, I'm going to see if the meat guy at Kroger/Publix will shave the steaks down for me.

I've got a Waring that I bought from Lowe's many years ago for like $79.99. It isn't a big pro-grade machine, but it's worked great for all I use it for.

BTW, thin-sliced deer backstrap also makes great Phillie steaks.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
This works also... You just can't tell anyone about it:cheers:

Attachments

• 2018-05-22_00.35.23.jpg
    2018-05-22_00.35.23.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 371

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

ryanh487

When I make them with boarshead roast beef, I add a little cavendars greek seasoning along with salt and pepper. cavendars is good on a lot of stuff, it usually finds it's way onto whatever I'm cooking in additiont to salt and pepper.

Also, steakums are disgusting. Costco used to sell a product called Steakeze that was frozen raw chipped ribeye, and that was some good stuff right there. not ground up mystery meat formed into shaved strips, actual hunks of ribeye.

K80

I made some using good ribeyes sliced thin and it was my last time making them. Taste was lacking imo. I'd much rather grilled ribeye than a sandwich...

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I made some using good ribeyes sliced thin and it was my last time making them. Taste was lacking imo. I'd much rather grilled ribeye than a sandwich...

^^^^^ This ^^^^^ I still eat meat sandwiches but I use Tri-Tip or Sirloin Tip. I have eaten ribeye steak sandwiches and thought, what a waste of a good steak.::gone:

Last edited:

K80Shooter

In my opinion the ones you get made at Publix while you wait just cant be beat.

I also got to have mushrooms, peppers and onions on mine along with the salt, black & red pepper and a tad of mayo.

Cmp1

BANNED
This right here is a true cheesesteak,,,,ribeye, white American and provelone, mushrooms, onions and peppers,,,,

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 161

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
This right here is a true cheesesteak,,,,ribeye, white American and provelone, mushrooms, onions and peppers,,,,

Yep but you forgot the mustard. :bounce:::ke:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

elfiii

Admin
Staff member