My Maiden Voyage With Offset Smoker (Long Post)

DannyW

After my last cook, my Masterbilt electric smoker crapped out again (3rd one in about 14-15 years!). But the timing was good because I have been wanting to try an offset wood burning smoker for awhile, and a friend gave me a slightly abused CharGriller offset left behind by his previous renters. I refurbished it and decided to give it a go on July 4. I documented pretty much the entire process so be forewarned it's lengthy, and I just learned a way to post photos so please excuse the quantity!

I had 8 people to cook for and decided to cook a smallish 6 pound butt with the fat cap removed, and 2 big racks of baby backs...about 7 pounds worth. Here I get the butt lathered with my binder of yellow mustard. I have tried several binders (BBQ sauce, mayo, etc) but but always return to the mustard:
DSC04240.JPG

I then loaded it with rub. I usually try something different every time, this time I used about double the normal amount of rub. Don't ask why...I just like to experiment!
DSC04241.JPG

Charcoal is about ready!
DSC04243.JPG

And into the firebox it goes along with some hickory chunks. You experienced offset guys see my first mistake, right?
DSC04244.JPG

Yikes! My first temperature test and it's an inferno! Memo to self: use about 1/2 the fuel next time!
DSC04250.JPG

That's better. Still a bit higher than I like but now it's manageable. Had to open the doors to the fire box and smoker to bring the temp down:
DSC04252.JPG

Batting next, the baby backs. Same prep as the butt:
DSC04253.JPG

Uh oh...just got a call half way thru the 6 hour cook and three more guests are coming! Need more protein but all I got thawed out and ready to go is some yardbird. So I add it to the mix. I use this opportunity to put on the beans, and baste the pork with apple cider vinegar:
DSC04254.JPG

After 7 hours of struggling with wildly fluccuating temperatures the ribs hit 192 (they were only on for about 3.5 of the 7 hours) and the butt hit 195. Since I need to let the meat rest for a few minutes at least, and since I was already nearly an hour late serving dinner, I pulled it. Everything was cooked of course, but the ribs had a little tug, and I had to slice the butt instead of pulling it. Usually I finish the butt and ribs covered in foil in the oven to get that last bit of tenderness but just did not have the time. Here is a photo of the end product, I did not take any plated pictures because I didn't feel the meat was worthy of it:
DSC04258.JPG

Bottom line, I felt humbled. Everyone said it was great but I ate the same thing they did and I felt it was far from my best effort. But I learned a bunch on this first try, and will do better on the next. I have a newfound appreciation for you guys who have learned your offset smokers and make it look easy. For those reading this, thanks for staying till the end!

DannyW

Lessons learned:

• Temperature control in the smoker is the key. Need to mount a couple of good bimetal gauges (the one on the smoker was broken). Near bout ruined my Thermapen trying to use it as a smoker thermometer.
  • Need to use a water pan...got one but forgot to use it.
  • Address leaks in the smoker. They were especially bad around both lids.
  • Need to add some kind of heat baffles. Temps varied about 30 degrees between firebox side to the other side of the smoker.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
After my last cook, my Masterbilt electric smoker crapped out again (3rd one in about 14-15 years!). But the timing was good because I have been wanting to try an offset wood burning smoker for awhile, and a friend gave me a slightly abused CharGriller offset left behind by his previous renters. I refurbished it and decided to give it a go on July 4. I documented pretty much the entire process so be forewarned it's lengthy, and I just learned a way to post photos so please excuse the quantity!

I had 8 people to cook for and decided to cook a smallish 6 pound butt with the fat cap removed, and 2 big racks of baby backs...about 7 pounds worth. Here I get the butt lathered with my binder of yellow mustard. I have tried several binders (BBQ sauce, mayo, etc) but but always return to the mustard:
View attachment 1090173

I then loaded it with rub. I usually try something different every time, this time I used about double the normal amount of rub. Don't ask why...I just like to experiment!
View attachment 1090174

Charcoal is about ready!
View attachment 1090175

And into the firebox it goes along with some hickory chunks. You experienced offset guys see my first mistake, right?
View attachment 1090176

Yikes! My first temperature test and it's an inferno! Memo to self: use about 1/2 the fuel next time!
View attachment 1090177

That's better. Still a bit higher than I like but now it's manageable. Had to open the doors to the fire box and smoker to bring the temp down:
View attachment 1090178

Batting next, the baby backs. Same prep as the butt:
View attachment 1090179

Uh oh...just got a call half way thru the 6 hour cook and three more guests are coming! Need more protein but all I got thawed out and ready to go is some yardbird. So I add it to the mix. I use this opportunity to put on the beans, and baste the pork with apple cider vinegar:
View attachment 1090180

After 7 hours of struggling with wildly fluccuating temperatures the ribs hit 192 (they were only on for about 3.5 of the 7 hours) and the butt hit 195. Since I need to let the meat rest for a few minutes at least, and since I was already nearly an hour late serving dinner, I pulled it. Everything was cooked of course, but the ribs had a little tug, and I had to slice the butt instead of pulling it. Usually I finish the butt and ribs covered in foil in the oven to get that last bit of tenderness but just did not have the time. Here is a photo of the end product, I did not take any plated pictures because I didn't feel the meat was worthy of it:
View attachment 1090182

Bottom line, I felt humbled. Everyone said it was great but I ate the same thing they did and I felt it was far from my best effort. But I learned a bunch on this first try, and will do better on the next. I have a newfound appreciation for you guys who have learned your offset smokers and make it look easy. For those reading this, thanks for staying till the end!

Fantastic!!!!!

pop pop jones

The hotter spots are where the largest cuts go, then space the smaller cuts according.
Water pan will help with the temp control

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Looks like you crushed it for your first try. Low and slow ain't what it's cracked up to be so 300 degrees is fine. Myron Mixson sure thinks so. Pit temp control is definitely key and a water pan will help mose def.

I'd still wear out a plate of your Q. It looks delicious to me.

ehart

It looks awesome and delicious. I used an offset smoker for me, But that one Coated steel is a bit thin, I'm just scared about this. It dents easily, it is a big concern. What can I do now to prevent those problems?

TJay

I think you did great for the first time with an offset and kudos for cooking for a crowd on your first time! My first experience with an offset was pretty much like yours.

DannyW

I think you did great for the first time with an offset and kudos for cooking for a crowd on your first time! My first experience with an offset was pretty much like yours.

It's been a year now and I am still having issues. Of course I only smoke something about once a month so I only have roughly 15 cooks on it.

It's a whole different experience from cooking on a MES.

TJay

It's been a year now and I am still having issues. Of course I only smoke something about once a month so I only have roughly 15 cooks on it.

Years ago I had a New Braunfels vertical offset and I was able to get good results from that one but you really had to babysit it. That thing was like a tank.

CaptKeith

Actually, you have me inspired! I don’t have a smoker, but I understand you can use a gas grill—I’m going to try it.

DannyW

BeerThirty

I give the guys who use offsets a lot of credit. I wouldn’t have the patience to watch a smoker all day and constantly be making adjustments, etc…

JDBrown

I've found when using my offset, you really need to to keep a check on the temp, it does keep you busy. I replaced the original Chargriller thermometer with an old one I had off another smoker. My son gave me one of his remote thermometers, I leave 1 probe inside the smoker to keep check on overall temp, and use the others for whatever I'm cooking, it helps monitor what's going on, and you don't have to stay right with it. I do a lot of hot smokes, just because I don't have a lot of time. I place the coals on one end and the meat in the middle, with a water pan underneath, and lower the coals all the way. I set the vent on the chimney to help adjust the temperature.

Latest posts