Deer Hindquarter Suggestions

campboy

I have a hindquarter in the freezer that I’m thawing out in the next day or so that is going to spend its last hours on a charcoal grill with pecan wood. I’m thinking about injecting it some sort of marinade the day before smoking it but can’t decide what to use. This is the first time I’ve ever tried anything like this so suggestions would be appreciated. (Mouth is watering as I type) I’m planning on smoking it like I do ribs, just longer. Charcoal and pecan wood on one side of the grill and meat on the other side. At some point wrapping in foil with beer or another liquid. Any help is appreciated!

Jonathan

ryork

Pre alpha-gal I liked to cook hind quarters more or less the same way I would a pork butt. Didn't inject with anything would just coat with some sort of rub concoction, put some bacon over the top and then smoke. Would then wrap in foil with some sort of liquid like beer or apply juice, and crank up the heat a bit. Would pull it and chop it and mix with some sort of sauce in the BBQ variety. Good Luck!

Big7

The Oracle
I'm not to wild about injecting really lean meat.

Main thing with that leg is don't over cook it.

campboy

Pre alpha-gal I liked to cook hind quarters more or less the same way I would a pork butt. Didn't inject with anything would just coat with some sort of rub concoction, put some bacon over the top and then smoke. Would then wrap in foil with some sort of liquid like beer or apply juice, and crank up the heat a bit. Would pull it and chop it and mix with some sort of sauce in the BBQ variety. Good Luck!
Bacon… how could I forget the most important ingredient?? facepalm: I usually wrap my backstraps in bacon

specialk

season, wrap in bacon and smoke....after the smoke hits it an hour or so wrap in foil with a little liquid if you like and finish it off.....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not to wild about injecting really lean meat.

Main thing with that leg is don't over cook it.
100% disagree on a whole ham. Agree with the not injecting, but not with the not overcooking. Cook it until it's falling off the bone like a pork shoulder and pull-able, or it'll be so tough you cant drive a fork in it with a clawhammer.

Lukikus2

Totally with NCHillbilly. Not a ham. Will be tough as jerky. I always steaked the hams but did cook the shoulders whole and found the best way was covered tightly in the oven with some Italian dressing on 275* (I think) for a couple of hours. Liquid Smoke could be added and ain’t bad. Venison has no fat in it.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
We smoke a couple here and there, usually yearling hind quarters and any front quarters do well low, slow and long. Best wood to use was apple from my experience.

We marinated some with AC vinegar or apple juice, some we just rubbed down with mustard. Then sprinkle with basic spices like paprika, pepper, garlic and onion powder, etc.

Put it on the smoker, spray a little pineapple juice every so often for @10 to 12 hours, created a good bark. When you cut into it, it would almost explode and the meat was super tender.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Here's one for you

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I like to take the muscle groups apart and use them for roast and stew meat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like to take the muscle groups apart and use them for roast and stew meat.
Normally, I take those hams apart into the muscle groups and cut the top and bottom and eye rounds into butterflied cube steak. It's prime, tender stuff. No better cube steak on a deer. I'm not wasting a backstrap for cubed. The sirloin tip "football" is a roast or cured into pastrami. The tender stuff from the rounds that isn't big enough to make steaks goes for stir fry (beef tips.) I don't do stew.

TJay

However you decide to do it I would take it off the bone if you haven't already, they cook quicker and tend not to dry out as much. When you debone one they tend to spread open. I would put bacon or sausage on them and tie them up with twine with the bacon or sausage or both in the middle.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
However you decide to do it I would take it off the bone if you haven't already, they cook quicker and tend not to dry out as much. When you debone one they tend to spread open. I would put bacon or sausage on them and tie them up with twine with the bacon or sausage or both in the middle.
Cooking them whole, I like the bone in there myself. Keeps it moist and tender.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Seasoning....Everglades rub.Can get it at Publix.