The mighty Beetle Spin

ASH556

Sometimes KISS is really the best approach. I spent 3.5 hours this morning at the pond with my son and boy, we got SKUNKED! I mean not even a bite. I started with a Rebel PopR in Bass colors on one rod and a Bluegill Rapala DT4 on the other. My son had his trusty Rapala minnow. From there I went to a wacky Senko and he went through a Baby Bass Shallow Diver Rapala, and a Mepps Comet minnow. We came home for him to eat lunch and nap and me to help Mrs. Wonderful pick beans in the garden. While we were picking, we heard the back door open and it was Fletcher asking if we could go fishing again. Music to my ears! We headed back down and while things started slow, he finally landed a good sized Redbreast on his Rapala. Shortly afterward I managed a small bass on a Carolina Lizard. After another 20 S L O W minutes I got the notion to try a Beetle Spin on the smaller spinning rod I brought. First cast yielded this nice Bluegill:

After that I gave the rod to Fletcher and he made back to back catches of a Bluegill and then this Bass (his biggest yet!) He was super excited and he just continued to wear them out over the next 20 minutes 'til time to leave for supper. Gotta remember your roots at that newer isn't always better.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yep. The grin on that young man`s face is what makes you remember long years from now. You have yourself an outdoorsman in the making.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thats what is all about right there!!

WPrich

Gonna have to give the old beetle spin a shot! It's one classic lure I haven't used yet.

I had never thrown one until this year myself as well, but from now on if I'm fishing bluegill I'll keep a few handy. I got some of the most savage strikes on that thing I've ever had.