Bear spotted in Forsyth County subdivision.

buckeroo

I have heard very distant rumors that bears have been spotted on/near the Chattahoochee River in Forsyth and Gwinnett Counties from time to time. I have also noticed the bear proof garbage containers at Settle Bridge as well. I personally have never seen them or know of anyone I trust that has.....until yesterday!

My wife was at work yesterday when a coworker got a text and gasped loudly. When she inquired her coworker said that her neighbor just text her that a momma and two cubs were walking across their back yard in Chattahoochee River Club which is right at the Gwinnett/ Forsyth border.

I am sure it is just wandering through, but I still thought it was cool because that is very close to me.

Luke0927

Yes there around. Some have been seen in south Forsyth this year and one as killed last year in North Forsyth, I personally saw in the mans truck.

Kodiak629

I work just off 400 at exit 12. I work the 3rd shift. We have a Bear that is seen regularly by the night shift guys. Its seen more in the spring than the fall but is in the area. We don't say much to the day shift folks they seem to get all worked up over it. It is neat to see it on the back patio area at night when I'm at work by myself :fine: Also lots of deer here too been watching a very nice 10 point and 2 - 8point bucks the last few weeks, they are really enjoying the new shrubs the landscape folks keep putting out :cool:

buckeroo

I saw on the news last night that a bear was causing a traffic jam at Mcginnis Ferry Rd. and Kemp Rd. yesterday during rush hour. I wonder if it hit the Hooch and walked down to there from the Chattahoochee River Club area?

jimboknows

I live in swim tennis neighborhood off of old Atlanta rd in south Forsyth and have trail cam pic of a bear in my back yard about 10 paces from my deck.

Coastie

Just a bear being a bear, she has been there for months and the only problem has been folks getting their knickers in a twist because they have seen a bear. Convince the knuckle heads in the area to keep their trash and garbage up until pick-up day, feed the dogs and cats then take the food bowl inside and retire the bird feeders and the bear will go back to the mountains.

buckeroo

Just a bear being a bear, she has been there for months and the only problem has been folks getting their knickers in a twist because they have seen a bear. Convince the knuckle heads in the area to keep their trash and garbage up until pick-up day, feed the dogs and cats then take the food bowl inside and retire the bird feeders and the bear will go back to the mountains.

I hear ya. As a bear fan myself, I would love for them to show up in my neighborhood. That's the only hoo-rah-rah you'll get out of me. I always try and explain to folks that a north Georgia black bear is not a cold blooded human killer like people think they could be.

So do they travel the Hooch corridor in Forsyth and Gwinnett year round or just while searching for food in the fall during off mast years like this one?

Coastie

A few years ago (less than 5) they would only come down in the spring during the mating season. Young males in particular would come down when the sow chased them away so she could mate again. The older boars would chase the younger ones away (or kill and eat them) and they would end up in the city by following the green belts along the river corridors. Today they seem to have found that garbage is high protein and easy to come by so they move down there and stay.

Hr00544

There is a mom and cubs traveling through Old Atlanta Club in forsyth about two weeks ago. My sister lives in the neighborhood and received a eblast about it.

GA DAWG

A few of us posted lots of pics of Forsyth co bears. Well about 3 or 4 pics. Somehow I think it was in a Dawson co hunting thread lol. Yall let one walk through here at my house. Yall will see another one. If it don't have cubs I can see and is over 75 lb.