Family vacation out west

walkinboss01

We're going to Washington DC this year as a 6th grade trip for my daughter. We home school so we have a little more flexibility. We are planning the trip out west in 2018. I just asked so far in advance so I could do an abundance of research. Lol. I think we're leaning toward Yellowstone or glacier.

Utah is incredible (5 national parks, Moab is AWESOME,,,,,Dinosaur tracks)!!!!! So much to see and not a bad drive from Las Vegas......IMO, Yellowstone is the most overrated, uncomfortable national park I've ever been to. Grand Teton rocks!!!

Davis31052

My son and I are doing this for my 50th this year. Flying into Durango Colorado and then 4 days of exploring the San Juan Montains via the Million Dollar Hwy. Side trips to Mesa Verde and possibly 4 corners as well. Gonna try for some trout fishing too. I can't wait!!!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We're going to Washington DC this year as a 6th grade trip for my daughter. We home school so we have a little more flexibility. We are planning the trip out west in 2018. I just asked so far in advance so I could do an abundance of research. Lol. I think we're leaning toward Yellowstone or glacier.

So it’s late spring 2018. Is it gonna happen ??

bany

The badlands all the way to Northern California and drop through the Rockies to New Mexico and Utah. Washington and Oregon aren’t too shabby. Alaska is calling too!

BassRaider

I like the area from Rapid City, SD to around Butte Montana. Rushmore, black hills, Devil's Tower, Little Big Horn, Yellowstone and lots more.

Yes!
Last June, I took a mc trip that included the Badlands, Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Cody WY, and Yellowstone.
If you're wanting to visit Nat Parks, get a park pass.

Also went to Bighorn,Dinosaur, Canyonlands Nat Parks

GeorgiaBob

Another unique option would be to fly into Albuquerque, New Mexico, rent a car and head for the hills. Santa Fe, Taos, Los Alamos, Indian reservations. Or head for the desert and non-Mexican aliens around Roswell, strange sights in Carlsbad Caverns.

Shopping in the square in Santa Fe should please the wife and kids. A trip to Los Alamos should also include a visit to the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument and the amazing cliff dwellings. And Taos is near with arts and lots of tourist trinkets.

You will not be far from Southern Colorado. I second the advise to visit Durango, CO. The kids would love the coal fired train ride from Durango to Silverton. In a long ago era (30 years ago) I put my 8 and five year old kids on the train and waved goodbye as the train pulled out (then got in my car and drove to Silverton to meet them at the station)! There is another, narrow gauge, steam train running somewhere closer to New Mex along the border.

If you are really adventurous drive a little east and visit the Davis Mountains in west Texas (there are rental cabins in the park that were built in the 1930s by the CCC) and the McDonald Observatory near Ft Davis. West Texas is a wild and fun place - but lots of driving - nothing is "close" by east coast standards.

Have fun wherever you go.