Fishing Line Shelf Life

Eric Lewis

How long is fishing line good for if still in the package?

I just found a bunch of STREN that is still in the package inside of a covered tub with all my (most of) fishing gear out in the garage and was wondering if it is still any good/usable. Or should I pitch it. It's been out there a couple of years.
Thanks

Wesbird2

Mono will last a long time as long as it isn't in direct sunlight.
What you found should still be good.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I came across some Biggame mono in my storage room this year that's probably been there for 10 years.
I've been using it. It seems to be as good as new.

But that same line exposed to sunlight would have been toast in 30 days.

russ010

I've got spools that are 5+ years old of fluorocarbon that I'm still using. I saran wrap all line spools when I get them home, stick them in a rubbermaid box, and put them in my basement where it stays cool and out of direct sunlight.

Eric Lewis

Thanks for the repiles...One interesting thing I read said to tie some knots in it & pull tight to test it. Or loop it ove a fish scale & pull to see at waht weight it breaks at.

Called "Pure Fishing" parent company of Stren, Berkley etc...customer service, they said 2-3 years. But they are also in the NEW fishing line business.
They told me there is a date code with dashes on the back of the spools.
a-10-09 would be Jan. 10th. 2009
b-10-09 would be Feb. 10th. 2009
c-10-09 would be March 10th 2009
Ending with L being December.
FYI they said the same date codes are used on there bait/lures.

My issue is that it has been in the garage which can get up to 80-90+ degrees especially this summer.:banginghe

Here a link to some interesting info on the subject.

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44949

russ010

I test every spool of fluorocarbon in the store before I buy it... I open it up, take off about 18" and tie a knot (like the first knot when you tie your shoes). Then I wrap the ends around both hands and pull, then jerk it to see if it breaks. Sometimes I wet the knot before testing just because I do that before I tie to my regular line. If it breaks instantly, I try another pack and give the pack that broke to the guy at the counter and tell him it's junk - just to keep it off the shelf and to keep someone else from buying it.

If it's a good tackle shop, they won't care that you take it out of the package before you try it. Line is too expensive to waste money on - and that's the main ingredient to your rod/reel/lure that will put the fish in the boat

Big Texun

How long is fishing line good for if still in the package?

I just found a bunch of STREN that is still in the package inside of a covered tub with all my (most of) fishing gear out in the garage and was wondering if it is still any good/usable. Or should I pitch it. It's been out there a couple of years.
Thanks

I can't resist pointing out that Stren was junk when it was brand new... :)

Eric Lewis

Junk or not I have a bunch of it brand new still in the pacakge that I got on clearance at Wally World & I'd hat to just pitch it. Now if we can somehow get all the growth/ seaweed out of the neighborhood pond :stir:
I'll get to test out the junk theory.

Last edited:

Eric Lewis

Official reply from Stren

Hi Eric,

Monofilament line caries a 2 to 3 years shelf life if stored properly.

Usually the line is good as long as it was never spooled onto a reel.

THEN I GOT THIS SECOND REPLY A FEW HOURS LATER

Thank you for contacting Pure Fishing!Our line has a 3 to 4 years shelf life under normal conditions. It must be kept away from heat in a dry humid environment. I would guess you will need to throw the line away due to the heat factor.

Best Regards
Pure Fishing

Wardell Griffin
Customer Service Rep
Pure Fishing
E-mail: wagriffin@purefishing.com
Tel: 803 754-7000 Ext 5136

Last edited: