86 f-150 5.0

hiawassee1

Well bought my son a truck, started good when I went to pick it up, stop put gas in it, started up, driving up the road it just quit. Havent been able to get it started since.
Fuel pump seems to be working, attempted to remove fuel pressure regulator, to replace, and cannot figure out how to remove the rear bolt, it is blocked by supply line underneath.
Hoping someone might have some idea how to get us back up and running. This is a project truck to work on together for his first truck.

Thanks J.R.

rayjay

YouTube

transfixer

There should be a test port on the fuel rail, if you turn the key on the rail should have between 30-40 psi of pressure in it. They make a test gauge for checking fuel pressure, you might be able to rent/borrow one from one of the parts stores like Advance, Oreilly's , etc, I usually check it with my thumb on most, by mashing in the stem in the middle, if I can barely keep the fuel from escaping with my thumb, its usually enough pressure to run.
Depending on how many miles is on the motor, it could have jumped time, those 5.0's back then had nylon teeth on the cam gear that would wear and deteriorate with a lot of miles, find your timing mark on the crankshaft pulley, line it up with the indicator at 0 degrees or slightly before, pull the distributor cap and see if the rotor is pointing at the #1 post on the cap.

transfixer

As for checking spark, you can pull one of the sparkplugs, then put it back in the sparkplug wire, lay the plug on the engine so the metal part of the plug contacts something metal on the motor, have someone try to crank it while watching for spark at the end of the plug.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
The regulator requires an allen wrench to remove. They had a recall on them in the 90's and I took an allen wrench and cut some of the end of to make it shorter to fit under the rail.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Could be, EEC relay, Fuel pump or relay, jumped time, The ignition switch under the dash was junk at times to. They would separate and kill power to the PCM.