Tyson Summers GSU Football Coach Fired This Afternoon

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
HALLELUJAH, AS IT IS ABOUT TIME IN MY OPINION !!!!

Christmas came early for me this afternoon !!!!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...son-summers-reportedly-fired-after-0-6-start/

I am tired to keep spending my money each year while watching this Head Coach do one stupid thing after another. I honestly don't believe that the GSU coaching staff is properly training and continuing to practice the very basic tactics of blocking, tackling, rushing, kick returns, punt returns, kicking extra points, kicking field goals, how not to miss their blocks, how not to commit pass interference, how not to hold your opponents etc. Everything about this current program needs to be overhauled. All of the above has added up to zero confidence in TYSON SUMMERS, who was the Head Coach of GSU up until about an hour ago.

Yes, I am ready for some new blood since it is obvious that this Head Coach apparently has a hard time spelling the word "success" while building a Championship team like the days of old. I spend good money each year to have season tickets on the front row right behind the players, coaches, and all of the necessary support staff for each game. Our seats are in a great location as my Daughter and Son-in-law know all of these personnel since they both graduated from GSU and they both work for GSU on campus. My Son-in-law owns one of the GSU National Championship Rings and his brother owns two of the GSU National Championship Rings.

I grew up in Lincoln County which is a very small county with ONLY one High School. Since back in the early 1960's, we have had one of the very best winning percentages of anybody in the state of Georgia. Coach Larry Campbell was the legendary Head Coach for Lincoln County since back in 1972 thru 2012. He is the winningest High School Football Coach in Georgia and the 3rd winningest coach in the entire Nation.

So being involved playing football and going to almost EVERY game for the past 56 years now with a home town team such as Lincoln County, it makes you feel really good BUT what is happening at GSU over the past few years is now unfortunately happening at Lincoln County High School as well. In my opinion, the current Lincoln County Head Football Coach probably can't even spell the word, CHAMPIONSHIP, and he should be put out to pasture as soon as possible too.

So with all of the above said, all I want for Christmas is a winning team again for Lincoln County and also GSU as well. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Now I will get off of my soapbox and break the seal on this new bottle of medicine !!! :D:D:D:pop::pop:

Last edited:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Good news! I didn't like the hire to begin with. Now they need to throw some money at a proven, young assistant coach once this awful season ends.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
He is headed to Knoxville as the head coach of the Vols. He was their 34th choice.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Never was a good fit, couldn't settle on an offense, and was a terrible recruiter.
Whoever the new coach is will have a total rebuild to deal with.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Never was a good fit, couldn't settle on an offense, and was a terrible recruiter.
Whoever the new coach is will have a total rebuild to deal with.

Robert, you are exactly correct in every respect. He was a terrible choice to begin with and he surely never woke up during his tenure either. :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

Wish we could plug Erskine back in there.

If only we could have cloned ERK and kept him for all of these years, we could have changed the world for sure. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Robert28

Lunsford, the interim coach, was an undergrad assistant when I played at GMC. I never had to deal with him a whole lot since he wasn't my position coach, but man was he a jerk. He's a decent coach though, hope he does well with the rest of the season.

MCBUCK

I’ll not say much a about Lunsford except to agree that he’s a stone cold jerk....and he never played a down of college football.

jbogg

I’ll not say much a about Lunsford except to agree that he’s a stone cold jerk....and he never played a down of college football.

So True. Can’t believe the number of folks that think Lunsford is all that. Completely two faced. Text a kid a bible verse one minute and then dog cuss him for no reason an hour later. I will continue to support GSU, but won’t be disappointed when Lunsford finally moves on.

across the river

Good news! I didn't like the hire to begin with. Now they need to throw some money at a proven, young assistant coach once this awful season ends.

The problem is they have gotten away from what made them good to begin with, the "triple option" offense. Georgia is absolutely filled with fast, undersized, under recruited athletes. A 5'11'' Tracy Ham isn't going to play qb in the SEC, but he can dang sure run the option a Southern. No one would argue the Adrain Peterson from GSU was as good of a overall running back as the Adrain Peterson from Oklahoma, but in that system he was as good as anyone else that has played in it. That system is what separated them from everyone else. They had their choice of athletes for the "system." The only way they get back to that is to go back to running it, because if you run the same thing everyone else is running, you are competing with everyone for the same athletes. The problem is the AD and administration don't like the "wishbone" offense, so instead of getting the Navy assistant or the guy from Kennesaw State, they will get another coach like Summers to "bring them out of the dark ages" and continue to be irrelevant like they have sense Summers got there.

MCBUCK

And promote Oompa Loompas from within to interim positions

Robert28

So True. Can’t believe the number of folks that think Lunsford is all that. Completely two faced. Text a kid a bible verse one minute and then dog cuss him for no reason an hour later. I will continue to support GSU, but won’t be disappointed when Lunsford finally moves on.

When did he become all Bible teacher? The part about him dog cussing a kid is very accurate, he will lie on you in a skinny minute too. Lunsford is all about Lunsford, could care less about a player no matter what he says.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
The problem is they have gotten away from what made them good to begin with, the "triple option" offense. Georgia is absolutely filled with fast, undersized, under recruited athletes. A 5'11'' Tracy Ham isn't going to play qb in the SEC, but he can dang sure run the option a Southern. No one would argue the Adrain Peterson from GSU was as good of a overall running back as the Adrain Peterson from Oklahoma, but in that system he was as good as anyone else that has played in it. That system is what separated them from everyone else. They had their choice of athletes for the "system." The only way they get back to that is to go back to running it, because if you run the same thing everyone else is running, you are competing with everyone for the same athletes. The problem is the AD and administration don't like the "wishbone" offense, so instead of getting the Navy assistant or the guy from Kennesaw State, they will get another coach like Summers to "bring them out of the dark ages" and continue to be irrelevant like they have sense Summers got there.

Right on, brother! Totally agree! :cool:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
In the past, they have been successful bringing in assistant coaches. I hope they get someone, that will make them competitive. I have no Idea who that would be. They might go with a High School coach like Rush Propst.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
As a parent of a current GSU student I have witnessed games over the last 2 seasons first hand involving Tyson Summer coached teams, not impressed at all. No motivation, spark or enthusiasm from the players or coaching staff. Losing by 30 points to a terrible UMass team is unacceptable. I think they need to stay with the triple option and find a coach who knows how to recruit kids for that system and can run it too. The defense has really gone down a great amount too. My boy tells me the student body wanted him fired last season......
GSU has a great tradition with their football program and its ashamed is at this point now.
Who would be y'all's choice for the next coach?

lbzdually

Banned
What about Rush Probst?

across the river

As a parent of a current GSU student I have witnessed games over the last 2 seasons first hand involving Tyson Summer coached teams, not impressed at all. No motivation, spark or enthusiasm from the players or coaching staff. Losing by 30 points to a terrible UMass team is unacceptable. I think they need to stay with the triple option and find a coach who knows how to recruit kids for that system and can run it too. The defense has really gone down a great amount too. My boy tells me the student body wanted him fired last season......
GSU has a great tradition with their football program and its ashamed is at this point now.
Who would be y'all's choice for the next coach?

As I mentioned earlier, I think the AD tis getting away from the "wishbone" offense, so I don't think they go this way. However, Brian Bohannon at Kennesaw State would be a good option in my opinion, and a lot of people have mentioned him. He has built KSU from the ground up and already has recruiting connection in the state for the type of kids he could and would pull to Southern. In that same theme, Brent Davis from Army or Ashley Ingram from navy would also be good candidates.

With that being said, I think Dell McGee will be the one you see people mention a lot, but I don't know that they can afford him now that he is showing out as a recruiter at UGA. Would he leave there to coach Southern for what Summers was making, I doubt it. The issue I have with him is not only would this be his first HC job, but I don't know that he would run the true "triple option" type offense. He worked some under Malhzan, and we know how quarterback dependent that offense is. At the same time though, he worked under Fritz too, and he ran the "triple option" out of the gun, so I guess he does have experience with it. He is a dang good recruiter with plenty of connections, so he could get the athletes if they had a good coordinator to run the offense.

A lot of people wanted Dell McGee when they hired Summers, so guess a lot will depend on whether the AD listens to the alumni and fans, or goes out on his own again.