Fat Person Has Sung

HIGH COUNTRY

Prince Avenue, private school from Athens after winning the Class A football state championship this year , also won the Class A baseball state title last night sweeping a very good Irwin county team. Second game was not even close, and Irwin had a pitcher who has signed to pitch for Mercer.

Both finalist in class AA baseball were affluent private schools from Atlant this year.

My cousins grandson who is one of the smallest guys, pitched and hit very well. He will be playing football and baseball for Berry College next year.

This kid like most small public school kids has played football and baseball, playing both offense and defense for the team, as well as wrestling. Most of these kids play multiple sports. He worked hard, put on 32 pounds of muscle between tenth and eleventh grade.

Some have commented that the private school kids just worked harder, maybe in some cases, but not in this case.

They had no chance against a heavily recruited private school(most metro Atlanta schools have over 95% of students from outside their geographic area).

Yes, an occasional small public school can sometimes prevail, but all the stars have to align perfectly - i would give 80% or even higher odds to the privates every year. This unlevel playing field mostly occurs in the smaller classificaitons such as A and AA.

Yes it is personal, these kids had the best Class A public school in the state - yet....

We will continue to pushy for these privates to compete post season in their own classification, then it will be a level playing field. We wish them luck, and they have great kids and programs, we just dont want them in our post season competition. Privates belong with the privates, and that is where they should compete.

Strictly from an athletic competition perspective.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Root hog or die.

That's all I got for ya.

SpotandStalk

Prince Avenue, private school from Athens after winning the Class A football state championship this year , also won the Class A baseball state title last night sweeping a very good Irwin county team. Second game was not even close, and Irwin had a pitcher who has signed to pitch for Mercer.

Both finalist in class AA baseball were affluent private schools from Atlant this year.

My cousins grandson who is one of the smallest guys, pitched and hit very well. He will be playing football and baseball for Berry College next year.

This kid like most small public school kids has played football and baseball, playing both offense and defense for the team, as well as wrestling. Most of these kids play multiple sports. He worked hard, put on 32 pounds of muscle between tenth and eleventh grade.

Some have commented that the private school kids just worked harder, maybe in some cases, but not in this case.

They had no chance against a heavily recruited private school(most metro Atlanta schools have over 95% of students from outside their geographic area).

Yes, an occasional small public school can sometimes prevail, but all the stars have to align perfectly - i would give 80% or even higher odds to the privates every year. This unlevel playing field mostly occurs in the smaller classificaitons such as A and AA.

Yes it is personal, these kids had the best Class A public school in the state - yet....

We will continue to pushy for these privates to compete post season in their own classification, then it will be a level playing field. We wish them luck, and they have great kids and programs, we just dont want them in our post season competition. Privates belong with the privates, and that is where they should compete.

Strictly from an athletic competition perspective.
Go Indians!

I’m all for competition and the best team winning but the rules should be the same for all schools in a classification.

basshappy

BANNED
Isn't there already a another thread about this? :unsure:

Yes OP posted back on 12 May this similar topic. That is likely what you are recalling.

Don't know what to say ... life ain't fair? Make hay while the sun is shining? If wishes and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a wonderful Christmas?

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
As for impressive private school programs, check out the football and baseball records that John Milledge Academy (Milledgeville) has amassed over the last 4 yrs. Unbeaten in football in 4 yrs. 4 straight state championships. I think 2 straight baseball state champs.. JT Wall is the head coach. ... Anybody remember him? The last stud fullback that UGA had.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
If you think that's impressive, check out the football and baseball records that John Milledge Academy (Milledgeville) has amassed over the last 4 yrs. Unbeaten in football in 4 yrs. 4 straight state championships. I think 2 straight baseball state champs.. JT Wall is the head coach. ... Anybody remember him? The last stud fullback that UGA had.
He must be recruiting! That’s the only way.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
When we played ball. After practice we would sit around and say who was a stand out. Just us players. We would say who doesn’t give up even when double teamed. Who was gaining speed coming on.
Wonder if any teams do that anymore.

HIGH COUNTRY

It becomes an ISSUE when there is dominance year in and year out.

I want to pull all private state championships for the last two years across all sports, it will likely be heavily weighted in class A and class AA though Pace did win mens basketball two years in a row at class AAAA moving up from AA - Understand their coach is the area AAU coach...

My personal feeling is that the dominance becomes less of an issue as you move into class AAAA and higher just due to the sheer size and resources of the public high schools liek a Lowndes (but thats just a guess, down here in unaffluent rural south ga we normally have ONE county school and that is a class A or class AA.

My grandson from a really good team is probably only one of about three or four players that will play true travel ball this summer, most of them will be working and cant afford to play. And the true travel is a recent new thing for them. We do it, but travel ball that is a whole nother subject - almost have to do it to compete but playing BB ten months out of the year and the expense - Geez.

These boys pay multiple sports, and come up through local rec dept program for baseball. But they are tight, been playing together since they were about five or six years old which is kinda cool.

ATLFalconsfan80

It becomes an ISSUE when there is dominance year in and year out.

I want to pull all private state championships for the last two years across all sports, it will likely be heavily weighted in class A and class AA though Pace did win mens basketball two years in a row at class AAAA moving up from AA - Understand their coach is the area AAU coach...

My personal feeling is that the dominance becomes less of an issue as you move into class AAAA and higher just due to the sheer size and resources of the public high schools liek a Lowndes (but thats just a guess, down here in unaffluent rural south ga we normally have ONE county school and that is a class A or class AA.

My grandson from a really good team is probably only one of about three or four players that will play true travel ball this summer, most of them will be working and cant afford to play. And the true travel is a recent new thing for them. We do it, but travel ball that is a whole nother subject - almost have to do it to compete but playing BB ten months out of the year and the expense - Geez.

These boys pay multiple sports, and come up through local rec dept program for baseball. But they are tight, been playing together since they were about five or six years old which is kinda cool.
How can you find a true state champion A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AAAAA, AAAAAA, AAAAAAA if you don't mix and mingle? (That's a lot of A's)

You'll get those comments like.. "Well they only won cause they're in Private or Public, they couldn't handle our team and our type of schedule" etc...

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Sounds to me they got a great coaching staff. Sports program going on.

ATLFalconsfan80

North Cobb Christian had a great football season last year but absolutely throttled by Rockmart in the 2nd round. It happens, you don't complain, you see what went wrong and try to improve on what you lacked in the upcoming season.

HIGH COUNTRY

I would like to see sports like baseball and basketball have a tournament of all state champions across classes.

I do think the dominance is less likely in sports like football than other sports...l

ddavis1120

Can you please post the reference where that percentage came from?

You can travel anywhere in the US and talk baseball and people in the know will tell you Cobb County is a mecca for baseball. What county are those two schools located in?

SpotandStalk

How can you find a true state champion A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AAAAA, AAAAAA, AAAAAAA if you don't mix and mingle? (That's a lot of A's)

You'll get those comments like.. "Well they only won cause they're in Private or Public, they couldn't handle our team and our type of schedule" etc...

You play until 1 is left standing just like they do now. Just make the rules the same for all schools involved. They should let all high schools recruit imo.

SpotandStalk

Can you please post the reference where that percentage came from?

You can travel anywhere in the US and talk baseball and people in the know will tell you Cobb County is a mecca for baseball. What county are those two schools located in?

Pretty sure PAC is in Oconee county