UGA game 1 roster breakdown.

greendawg

I know there is a game thread, but I specifically wanted to just talk players and talent, which extends to some guys that are hurt and did not see the field.

I'm going to start with what I consider to be the deepest receiving group in UGA history, after seeing them play and also seeing who did not play. First of all, McConkey and Rosemy-Jacksaint- who I feel are maybe the best 2 WR's coming from last year, did not even play. Throw in Lawson Luckie, who is the 2nd or 3rd best TE on the team and you get an idea of what I am saying here. Bowers is the best TE, and the 2nd total receiver behind Marvin Harrison Jr. in the whole country. Oscar Delp would be the #1 guy at most major colleges, but again, there is Bowers. I can't speak about Spurlin, because he needs some development physically to be there. When you start to look at the WR's, speed is the name of the game. Arian Smith and CJ Smith are both in the top 10 fastest players in the nation and CJ Smith showed how shifty he is in the open field and was one gap away from going the distance on a screen. The transfers, RaRa Thomas and Dominic Lovett are both WR1 at 90% of FBS schools and they have proven themselves at Miss St and Mizzou respectively and looked really good with Beck and BVG getting them the ball. Then you have the little guys who can really cut on a dime in Mehki Mews and Dillon Bell, with the bonus of Cash Jones catching the ball out of the backfield. I did not see enough out of Cole Speer or Zeed Haynes to call them good yet, but they provide bodies at the very least. So counting TE's the Dawgs have 12-13 guys who can really catch the ball well, with some young guys there who will get a chance with more experience.

At RB, the loss of Branson Robinson is huge and with him, I would say the Dawgs have a top 10 backfield, but right now I can't say that. However Roderick Robinson looked very good as a replacement. Milton will be solid if he can stay healthy, we know what Dajun Edwards can do when he gets back, and Chris Paul looked very good before his injury and now that he is almost 100%, those within the know say he is going to be a good one. Cash Jones, as mentioned in the WR thread is a good receiver out of the backfield, but his running skills are above average as well. I knew something was up when Kirby mentioned him without being prompted during a press conference. On the flipside, Bowers is as good at running the ball as most true backs. On that same note, it's only a matter of time Ladd, Arian, CJ Smith, Bell, or Mews takes a reverse to the house. Nevermind the running ability of the next group, the QB's.

I can't remember the Dawgs ever having 3 legitimate QB's who I thought who could all start and lead the Dawgs to a championship. Beck was shaky at first and missed a few throws, but settled in and can make every throw you can ask of a QB, with a rocket arm and good mobility, when his confidence improves and he gets in a rhythm I can see him at 3500 yards and 30 TDs this year. Brock Vandagriff is just an amazing athlete and looked really good in limited time, going through progressions and showing off his speed for a big QB. He can just flat out leave most defensive lineman in his dust. In limited time, Stockton looked really good and took what the defense gave him with running lanes and the short throws.

My biggest question, in the 1st half mostly, was the offensive line. They had a problem getting push on run plays,and Beck had to get rid of the ball quicker than he would have liked to, but the 2nd half they wore Tennessee-Martin's smaller and less deep line down, so that is not a good litmus test.
If someone else wants to breakdown the defense, they can or I will tomorrow. I am having brain pains and my computer screen is fuzzy.

brownceluse

It’s tough to talk about injuries because every team has them. Beck was nervous. Had to be. The Dawgs have a tendency to get off to a slow sluggish start. Go back through every game thread the last few years. I was worried about the Stacey Searles hire. But way too much talent for him to screw it up. Bobo play calling looked more like Monkens. Go Dawgs!

westcobbdog

Hoping to catch a replay to watch some of the young guys closer. Impressed with many of our young guys like #33 LB Allen, some young DBs looked good, liked Beck better when he was moving out of the pocket and throwing darts vs abit shaky accuracy when he was standing in the pocket. #2 qb looked great to me. Impressed with lil 87 Mews st G day and he looked similarly good last night. Delp made a few nice catches around his shoe tops, too.
Big 240lb fresh RB "0" looked good and he is gonna be a brute for the dawgs.
Future looks bright.

westcobbdog

Speaking of play calling, glad to hear we kept Monks concepts / plays and added a few to the repertoire.

Also great to see our 2nd and 3rd teasers in the game so early as a complete unit, especially liked seeing a massive young DL and OL at work.

Shadow11

It's early, and not much can be said, but beck looked slow as Christmas. He also stared down his receivers too much. Bobo still can't call plays. Looked like a mark richt game from back in the day. I'm sure a lot of the vanilla play calling was on purpose, though. We'll see in 2 weeks against sc. Bowers is still a stud. Keep that guy healthy by all means!

brownceluse

Aaron Murray said the play calling was vanilla. Look at the defense play calls. They showed very little. Kirby’s teams never show more than they have to. It definitely didn’t look anything like a Richt coached team. I never seen one fullback. Never lined up in I. Didn’t run the ball after we got up 21 to let the opponent get back in the game. As a matter of fact our two back ups came out throwing the ball and running the FB. Come on Dawgs! Don’t let yourself get caught up in that nonsense. Kirby hasn’t hired a Shottenhiemer yet either! Did they look like the number 1 team? No. Go Dawgs!

greendawg

It’s tough to talk about injuries because every team has them. Beck was nervous. Had to be. The Dawgs have a tendency to get off to a slow sluggish start. Go back through every game thread the last few years. I was worried about the Stacey Searles hire. But way too much talent for him to screw it up. Bobo play calling looked more like Monkens. Go Dawgs!

I wish Matt Luke would have stayed, but family is more important. You are right about starting slow, and they also have a tendency to play down to their opponent. Oregon 2 years ago illustrated that where they dominated a top 10 team,but then struggled with lower tier opponents.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Bowers looks to be the best player in the Nation to me. That guy is a BEAST in every way. Playing calling was suspect in the first half. Beck looked super nervous at first but settled down some. I thought Vandagriff looked way better than Beck and he has that running element as well. The O line needs to run till they can't hold their heads up this week, they looked weak and slow. We also don't have a game changer on the D line they looked ok but are going to have to create more pressure from somewhere. It was a ok opener, but they have some things to work on. Also getting a lot of the starters back from inuries will help as well.

James12

Have to give best player in nation to Caleb Williams or Travis Hunter, no doubt Bowers is great though. I don’t envy Kirby this and next year with his QB decisions, but I’d prob have to go BVG because of the running element at this point. Beck looked poised at times too though.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Well Georgia fans have officially become as silly and entitled as Alabama fans. The crying and fit throwing I was getting in text messages during that game was disgusting but also pretty funny.

So many people fell right back into their old hot take bull squeeze where Bobo is concerned.

I look at it like this, the play calling was not going to be wide open yesterday. UT Martin wasn’t going to beat them. That just wasn’t going to happen. So they weren’t going to open up the playbook. Brand new quarterback and new (old) OC, a banged up running back group, and UT Martin selling out against the run. All that and the offense rolled up over five hundred yards and scored more than forty points. If that’s not good enough you need to just stop watching.

This same offense will shred South Carolina.

This Kirby guy knows more than we do.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Kirby did what he had to do to win that's all that matters. He was not going to show his full arsenal in Game 1.

By the time BVG came in they were pretty much in rhythm, like I said the QB battle will continue and the best man will win whoever he is!

Any 3 QBs could win a Natty with all the talent UGA has!

WR CJ Smith, Mekhi Mews, Oscar Delp, & Roderick Robinson just showed you a taste of the future of UGA!

GO DAWGS

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The word everybody is looking for is "crisp". The Dawgs were not "crisp" last Saturday. Let's hope we see some "crisp" execution this week. Let the starters have the first half to put the game fully on ice quickly and then let all of the scrubs play the second half. Sooner or later injuries are gonna happen and the scrubs need to be ready for next man up without skipping a beat.