Hogs and bait questions

mhayes

We have some hogs on our farm lately. We don’t want them there as they are tearing up the cow pastures and our deer food plots. Problem is I have tried to catch them there all summer with no luck. There is a pretty good hole they have started on the edge of our pond and tore the ground up pretty good in a 6x10 foot area. For three weeks now I have seen new places pop up about twice a week. Can’t trap them as for the cows and calves in the pastures. So I am looking for something I can add to these sites mentioned that might hold them on the property a little longer so I can get a few of them or all! What’s the best to use? Thanks

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
A wise man once said,
"Bait for hogs = more hogs."

I believe him, but I am NO expert.

mhayes

A wise man once said,
"Bait for hogs = more hogs."

I believe him, but I am NO expert.

Lol. Well that’s what we thought as well. But I haven’t been able to remove them any other way. So we thought if we’d bait them and kill the best of them. We can stop baiting and maybe cease the problem. Any other ideas is appreciated. I wouldn’t mind a little pork in the freezer though.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have great luck with a feeder full of corn, set on a timer, after a few weeks they will see who can get there first before the feeder goes off !

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
We have some hogs on our farm lately. We don’t want them there as they are tearing up the cow pastures and our deer food plots. Problem is I have tried to catch them there all summer with no luck. There is a pretty good hole they have started on the edge of our pond and tore the ground up pretty good in a 6x10 foot area. For three weeks now I have seen new places pop up about twice a week. Can’t trap them as for the cows and calves in the pastures. So I am looking for something I can add to these sites mentioned that might hold them on the property a little longer so I can get a few of them or all! What’s the best to use? Thanks

Do some searching on youtube on different traps.....corral type comes to mind. If you are talking farms and pastures, you need to be after them at night, over bait; unless you have thermal;).
Simple corn feeders should be fine. I would make a few......... a 3 or 4" pipe 8' longish with holes in it, a post hole filled with corn. I dont see anything more than corn(CHEAP) being needed as bait though.
I would think you have many options, but have FUN!!

If you are really wanting to get rid of them, reach out to some of the guys here with dogs and let them come out............the hogs will leave for a good while before they come back;)

Totaloutdoorsman

A post hike digger and a 5 gallon bucket of sour corn works wonders. Dig a 4 ft hole and pour the corn into it. They’ll have to work to get to it and will come back until it’s gone. It’s easy shooting after that. Just put the hole somewhere in the open so you can get a few shots off as they run away.

transfixer

A post hike digger and a 5 gallon bucket of sour corn works wonders. Dig a 4 ft hole and pour the corn into it. They’ll have to work to get to it and will come back until it’s gone. It’s easy shooting after that. Just put the hole somewhere in the open so you can get a few shots off as they run away.

I just did this over the weekend, I used a gas powered auger and drilled two or three six inch diameter holes about 30 inches deep, filled em with corn that had been souring for 3 weeks, hope to cash in on some pork this coming weekend,

I did the same thing back in the summer, and they tore it up, but my schedule didn't allow me to get back and hunt them till after it was all gone.

Jester896

Senior Clown
if you put a piece of 6-8" PVC in that hole and pour your soured corn in it...it will be a minute before they are able to tear it up.

transfixer

if you put a piece of 6-8" PVC in that hole and pour your soured corn in it...it will be a minute before they are able to tear it up.

I may have to try your pvc pipe idea, that 50lbs of soured corn I put in three holes that were 6inches across and about 20-24 inches deep all got completely eaten up from Sunday afternoon to Friday at lunch, in fact according to my game camera they had it all gone by Thursday morning, I think the little piglet must have dove headfirst down in the holes ! lol

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I may have to try your pvc pipe idea, that 50lbs of soured corn I put in three holes that were 6inches across and about 20-24 inches deep all got completely eaten up from Sunday afternoon to Friday at lunch, in fact according to my game camera they had it all gone by Thursday morning, I think the little piglet must have dove headfirst down in the holes ! lol

Thats AWESOME!! Post up some pics if you can brother!:cool: