Turkey Plot

grouperdawg

Just picked up a new lease near Columbus, not sure if they would let me burn so wondering if there is anything I can plant before turkey season.

Could I plant something like winter wheat in the next couple of weeks or could I roll the dice on planting some traditional warm weather stuff in early march and hope for no frost?

My fall deer plots seem to do a good job at attracting birds for strut zones, attracting insects, and late season I have killed birds just filled with mature seed

Thanks for any help!

misterpink

I've seen plenty of turkey bugging in rye grass. I think that would be the way I would go if I absolutely had to plant something now. A little well timed mowing and strip disking will make a old grown over logging deck more attractive as the season gets closer too.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
If you plant before, and any seed is exposed you may run into GW trouble. lol. Unless it was back to normal by turkey season. Which I'm sure it would be gone by then. Frost planting some clover would work. We did some last year in some bare spots. Came up good.

grouperdawg

If you plant before, and any seed is exposed you may run into GW trouble. lol. Unless it was back to normal by turkey season. Which I'm sure it would be gone by then. Frost planting some clover would work. We did some last year in some bare spots. Came up good.

Yeah I was actually thinking about that which is why was considering early march if warm weather stuff

Clover would be good not sure what soil is like, I figured wheat would come up in about anything

Arbuzzi rye might be a thought too