Best Seafood Dive near St. Mary's Ga.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Heading down that way next month for a few nights on Cumberland Island and will have a night or two on the mainland to find some good hole in the wall joints.

What do y'all recommend?

holton27596

try pirates point bar and grill on point peter rd. try the surf, turf, and i forget the third title. Be hungry! its a 1/2 pound angus burger, a 1/2 pound alligator burger and a 1/2 pound crabcake !

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Go across the bridge toward Fernandina The Down Under Restaurant is under the bridge. It closed for a while, but I think it's back open now. Good seafood.

GeorgiaBob

Don't actually eat at Lang's! The Lang family has the ferry concession to Cumberland Island and own most (if not all) of the riverfront that isn't city owned, but the restaurant is average, at best. The selection does NOT include anything locally caught, and most of their seafood comes out of the freezer!

If you want to eat in "downtown" St Marys, try Seagles (corner of Osborne and St Mary's St.). Captain Seagles Seafood Restaurant and Pub is in the restored Riverview Hotel. The food is above average for a small town and the setting (especially the bar) is pretty interesting.

If you just want some fried catfish, or some other southern style seafood without getting fancy, Ship to Shore on Hwy 40, Kingsland (same road as Osborne St just out near I-95) has pretty good food. And I won't dispute that Pirates Point on Point Peter Rd is also pretty good.

ALSO - If you are going to take the ferry, right across from the Park Service office on the St Mary's riverfront is the Submarine Museum. It is not big, or fancy, but it might be worth your time to visit there for a few minutes.

Artfuldodger

Used to eat at Seagles when I was in the Navy. It was actually about the only place to eat or get a room in 1980. I mostly just got a beer and a bowl of rock shrimp. First place I ever ate rock shrimp. The only place I ever ate rock shrimp. This was the place the wives would stay at when they came down from Charleston.

Some mentioned Fernandina across the river. Cool little downtown area to walk through. I haven't been in years. My sister goes pretty regular and likes Sliders Restaurant.
You might have a few more options over there.

Artfuldodger

:clap::clap::clap:

Already planning a stop by Hunters Cafe in Shellman's Bluff if they are open then. My kind of hole in the wall place.

That place looks interesting. Skippers' Fish Camp Oyster Bar and Grill in Darien. They serve wild caught Georgia shrimp.
Mudcat Charlies on the Altamaha River near Brunswick looks good.
Iguanas Seafood Restaurant on Saint Simons boast wild Georgia shrimp. It's in the village which is also full of little shops.
Not seafood but if I ever make it back to St. Simons, I want to eat at Southern Soul Barbecue.

I might have to plan a Savannah to St. Marys road trip just to eat.

The Fish Dock at Pelican Point used to be popular.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Used to eat at Seagles when I was in the Navy. It was actually about the only place to eat or get a room in 1980. I mostly just got a beer and a bowl of rock shrimp. First place I ever ate rock shrimp. The only place I ever ate rock shrimp. This was the place the wives would stay at when they came down from Charleston.

Some mentioned Fernandina across the river. Cool little downtown area to walk through. I haven't been in years. My sister goes pretty regular and likes Sliders Restaurant.
You might have a few more options over there.

That place looks interesting. Skippers' Fish Camp Oyster Bar and Grill in Darien. They serve wild caught Georgia shrimp.
Mudcat Charlies on the Altamaha River near Brunswick looks good.
Iguanas Seafood Restaurant on Saint Simons boast wild Georgia shrimp. It's in the village which is also full of little shops.
Not seafood but if I ever make it back to St. Simons, I want to eat at Southern Soul Barbecue.

I might have to plan a Savannah to St. Marys road trip just to eat.

The Fish Dock at Pelican Point used to be popular.

Seagles sounds interesting, and they do breakfast too!!!

King Fisher

I've only eat at Lang's once, but what I eat was absolutely fabulous, way better that B and J's. By far the top 3 seafood restaurants I have eaten at. The shrimp were so big It took 3 bites to eat one , best fried oysters I've ever had.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
X10 on Skippers at Darien