What kind of bush is this?

Ugahunter2013

Has small purple/blue berries on it. Grows all in my planted pines.

Attachments

• IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    455 KB · Views: 815

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
Looks like a wax myrtle to me. Mash the leaves up and smell them. If it is a wax myrtle, they will have a smell that reminds me of camphor.

fishtail

Can't make out the picture but if the berries are about 1/8" probably wax myrtle. Berries about 3/16" probably gallberries.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s wax myrtle. Our swamps down here are full of it. Versatile bush, and a natural skeeter repellent. Old timers use the berries to make candles.

Ugahunter2013

It`s wax myrtle. Our swamps down here are full of it. Versatile bush, and a natural skeeter repellent. Old timers use the berries to make candles.

Your 100% right. That was the first thing i noticed was how much like bug spray it smells. They have really spread through our mature heads of trees. Especially along the the road edges. I have tried cutting them down before, but they come back. Is there a time of the year or a way to cut them where they will not come back? Need to clear the road wqys and visibility from deer stands.

Jake Allen

In Schley cty the bush is also known as Southern Bayberry.
Majic cover scent and it stays leafed year round.

There are several wax myrtles. Southern bayberry is extremely common where I live. They can be male or female so, the don't all have berries. There is even an "odorless" wax myrtle.

Jake Allen

How do you like to use it? Crush up leaves and rub over clothes?

Yep, strip the leaves from a stem, crush 'em, and put some in my leafy suit jacket pocket.
Many times it grows around pines, and I climb the pine in the middle of the bush, and use the bush for cover.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Yep, strip the leaves from a stem, crush 'em, and put some in my leafy suit jacket pocket.
Many times it grows around pines, and I climb the pine in the middle of the bush, and use the bush for cover.

Yep. I've also made a many a ground blinds with myrtle bushes. Good bush for creating some cover.