What kind of okra

SC Hunter

I'm going to be planting a garden here at the house coming up sooner than later and my mama has requested us plant some okra. I've never planted okra so I don't have a clue about it. Does anybody have a favorite kind? We're up here in Schley County if that matters.

crackerdave

If you want big bushy plants,cut the tops off the plants with a weedeater when they're about knee high.Allow 2' spacing when you plant.I have harvested 15 pods off one plant using this method.
It really works!

Of course,keep it well-watered and fertilized.
Wheat straw mulch after final fertilization is a good idea,too.

Last edited:

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
If you want big bushy plants,cut the tops off the plants with a weedeater when they're about knee high.Allow 2' spacing when you plant.I have harvested 15 pods off one plant using this method.
Build up your retirement account that way. Yes I remember you saying that okra was supporting you in some lean times and you considered it a form of retirement. Is that pretty close? And I’m glad you beat that cancer CrackerDave.

crackerdave

Build up your retirement account that way. Yes I remember you saying that okra was supporting you in some lean times and you considered it a form of retirement. Is that pretty close? And I’m glad you beat that cancer CrackerDave.
Thanks,brother!
Prayers from good folks like you helped me beat it.
I miss my okry patch.

SC Hunter

Sounds like Clemson spineless is the way to go! Thanks folks! We had a little garden in town and we weren't able to get one in last year with moving into the new house with a baby and all. We're going to have a decent size garden this year hopefully, nothing huge but enough for us for sure. Thanks folks!

Don’t you have to soak in water for 24 hours prior to planting it or freeze it ? Think I read that and temps above 65 degree ground temps at night

B. White

I’ve planted it late and planted it early. I’ve started seed in trays and put it out in April to get some early to eat before the direct seeded rows produced. Planted in good ground and bad. Never soaked em. It always did good anyway I tried. You will have to try hard to mess it up.