Future looks good!

crackerdave

Caught and released quite a few baby stripers on West Point,while crappie trolling with Captain Tony.Good to see they're thriving!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
We have had an awesome recruitment on the last couple years stockings. Should be good things to come!

crackerdave

Do stripers hang around structure,or do they roam in schools? Where do they spawn?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Do stripers hang around structure,or do they roam in schools? Where do they spawn?

Yes and yes. They are school related fish for sure. In the lake they relate to humps, roadbeds, creek channels, timber...you name it. Much of it depends on time of year and the bait movement.

Same for up the river. They hold in certain areas be it a sand bar, rocks, etc. For exact spawning areas I am not 100% sure. I have seen fish doing the "spawning" ritual just above Franklin. I think it has to do with water temps and current.

To what extent do you think they reproduce in the river?

I don't know exact numbers but have just heard that their is a small % that do reproduce. Again it depends on current flow as the eggs must stay suspended for a certain time or they will get covered in silt and die.

crackerdave

There is a member here name of cedarridgetomcat.He's a local fisheries biologist,and probably had a lot to do with the fine population of stripers in West Point.
He's a real nice feller,too.