Bank Fishing Advice

TurkeyKiller12

Would like a few pointers on bank fishing. I've not had the best luck and I've got two boys that really like to fish but we just don't have much luck beating the banks. I was used to fishing from a boat when I was young but got out on my own and just never had the money for one and when I did have a little money, the price of boats as with everything else increased. I'd like to fish around Rome/Coosa River or West Point. I'm used to fishing for stripers and crappie but success isn't there from the bank. I don't want any secret honey holes but for those of you that are successful, what are you doing to have some luck? Thank you in advance.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Check out some of the threads by this OP.
There is a sticky full of them in the freshwater fishing stickies.

Big7

The Oracle
Brim and small Catfish are the easiest to catch and live crickets are always best for Brim. Worms and chicken liver are good baits for Catfish.

Use small hooks. 8 or 10 for Brim and 4 or 6 for small (1 pound) Catfish.

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
You mentioned West Point , starting about March 1st people wear the crappie out off the bank. During the weekend all you have to do is ride around the lake and you’ll see where they are biting . Everyone is usually friendly , just get in there with them . Most fish with a cork and a jig just casting and slow retrieving . My favorite bank spot isn’t a secret it right beside the hwy , you come this way send me a pm and I’ll try to point you to a couple spots to try

Anvil Head

Lock n Dam in Rome (Coosa) used to be a good place for spring run whites and crappie. Shoulder to shoulder fishing when it's "hot". Not been there in a good long while so don't know current conditions. Be worth checking.

Lots of places to bank fish in the state that are really good.

Do everyone a favor and take a couple Walmart bags with you and pick up the trash while you're waiting. I do this every time I go. I always fill the burn barrel at the house about every time I go. Bank fishermen litter more than any group of sportsmen that I have ever seen.

Best of luck to you and thanks for helping to keep things clean!

Hillbilly stalker

When the dog woods and the Bradford pears bloom….the crappie are up near the bank. About any submerged brush or tree top you can cast too is app to hold them. Where there is one there are many. I have caught 8-10 just five foot off the bank off one bush like that. If it starts getting crowded…let out aa little squeal and say something about snakes being out early this year::gone:. That usually thins the herd a little bit.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
When the dog woods and the Bradford pears bloom….the crappie are up near the bank. About any submerged brush or tree top you can cast too is app to hold them. Where there is one there are many. I have caught 8-10 just five foot off the bank off one bush like that. If it starts getting crowded…let out aa little squeal and say something about snakes being out early this year::gone:. That usually thins the herd a little bit.
Yes, and that is funny. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fisherman001

Lots of places to bank fish in the state that are really good.

Do everyone a favor and take a couple Walmart bags with you and pick up the trash while you're waiting. I do this every time I go. I always fill the burn barrel at the house about every time I go. Bank fishermen litter more than any group of sportsmen that I have ever seen.

Best of luck to you and thanks for helping to keep things clean!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
True story , about 20 years ago when I moved to Troup co. West Point lake , I was talking to a friend at work about fishing . He said I’m going when we get off work , you want to go . We went to a little creek that had a spillway under the road . It made a little deep hole right beside the road . We were fishing and had caught several and it wasn’t long it was elbow to elbow with people . He was on the edge on some big rocks and picked up a big limb and started beating them rocks and screaming snake . They cleared out quick

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Lol

I’ve noticed acting like your bread ain’t done usually keeps folks from messing with you too. Problem is you can attract other folks to you that’s bread ain’t done.

Works good at Walmart

Last edited: