catfish luck ?

riverbank

Anybody doing any good yet? Im New here and havent figured out how to post pictures. But i live on the middle fork broad river around carnesville Ga and caught a good one last night in about a foot of water. Bait was a hotdog..haha.. im not good at weight guessing but i have a 6 pound bass mounted and it was way bigger than that. This river is small and shallow to.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They're not red hot yet, but they're starting up pretty good. We caught about 30-some last weekend at Clark's Hill, several in the 10-15 lb range and one 20 lb'er. We were doing much better in the shallow flats and backs of creek/river arms than we were on the main lake.

riverbank

I heard that. I see that you are a moderator. Can you tell me where to look and find out how to post pictures. Im trying to upload from my phone and it says "upload failed" everytime i try.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I heard that. I see that you are a moderator. Can you tell me where to look and find out how to post pictures. Im trying to upload from my phone and it says "upload failed" everytime i try.

This thread has some good info on posting pics from a phone:http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=730970

Sometimes, pic posting troubles are caused by too large of a file, you may have to resize your pics to a smaller size.

riverbank

picture of fish

Heres the picture. Caught in middle fork broad river close to carnesville. Just a small river. Most folks dont believe i catch them this size out of here. Thanks for looking. Hotdog was the bait of choice haha.

Attachments

• 20150324_221100-1.jpg
    20150324_221100-1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 574

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Really nice channel cat! That's the kind we call "sand cats," and you usually catch them in shallow water. We caught a few of his twins last weekend. They're delicious, btw. :cheers:

riverbank

Thank yall. And forgive my ignorance here but i usually catch them this size or a little smaller with specks on Them. I thought those were the channel cats ???

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, that's a channel cat, and a nice'un at that.

riverbank

Thank yall for the information. What do yall consider the best channel cat bait? I always catch them on these cheap hotdogs. I've tried worms and cutbait. Anything else i should be trying?

crackerdave

Leeches are good,if you can find them.You can catch several fish on one leech.Live crawdads are deadly,too.

riverbank

Thank ya cracker. I bet i could get my hands on a few crawfish. I did catch a big turtle once and his head was covered in nasty ole leaches..haha..felt bad for the fella..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thank yall for the information. What do yall consider the best channel cat bait? I always catch them on these cheap hotdogs. I've tried worms and cutbait. Anything else i should be trying?

I've tried and caught catfish on everything in the book at one time or another: Cut bait, live minnows, night crawlers, shad, bluebacks, bream, shrimp, crawfish, catalpa worms, fatback, kielbasa sausage, hot dogs, chicken livers/gizzards/guts, clams and mussels, squid, steak fat, chicken chunks marinated in strawberry/banana jello, garlic, and anise; hellgramites, cranefly larva, wasp larva, slugs, pink bubble gum, Ivory and Fels Naptha soap, commercial stinkbait, garlic and cheese marinated marshmallows, all sorts of artificial lures, and who knows what all else.

But: nothing beats fresh cut bait in my opinion. Chopped creek chubs or bait shop shiners both work great. Catalpa worms are deadly on eatin' sized channel cats in the summer, too.

Tharry91

Nice cat, I'm down on the hooch near columbus and I tear 'em up on cut baits and live bait. I'm from up north (Ohio river where the big cats roam) where I'm from live creek chubs or blue gills ( what are called brim down here) fish 'em while they are live. Then when they are dead we step on them and throw them back out.

K80

I guess I'm going to have to get me some hot dogs and spend a little time at the river soon. I'm just down river of you closer to the bridges.

riverbank

Are you down around double bridges? I have the best luck when the river has come up but is starting to go back down. I dont never just wear em out but every good fish ive caught out of here has been on a hot dog. Just like fishing anywhere . Somedays I'll catch a good many and sometimes not. Let me know how you do.