We only caught three

olcaptain

We only caught three

A wise coach once said “It is no disgrace to be defeated but it is a disgrace to stay defeated." Yesterday was not a very productive day Carp wise so rather than stay defeated Cool Dad, the Ol Captain and the Ultimate Carp Hound (Maximus Relaximus) picked up Jim “Hatman” Hatter before daylight this morning and headed west.

Our goal today was to bring a Grass Carp (White Amur) to the landing mat. Our dream was for each of us to catch one apiece. That is very difficult in that after fishing this venue for several years it is almost certain that at least one Crew member will blank on any given day. However, if you do catch one, it is usually a big one! It would take something just short of a miracle for all of us to land one but that was our charge and soon we were in hot pursuit.

We gain an hour heading west so shortly after the first light of day we had things set up and we were soon ready to get down to the waiting game.

OX%20March%2026%20001_zpsjcqrzoze.jpg

As we waited we knew the cream would soon rise to the top. Jim Hatter has caught so many “Grassers” from this lake it is often referred to as Hatter’s Honey Hole! But even before his expected Pull Down the “Hatman” was already screaming “Fish on!!!”

OX%20March%2026%20012_zpswkvtqxra.jpg

OX%20March%2026%20011_zpsxcwhxeuc.jpg

OX%20March%2026%20013_zpsxa7rs8as.jpg

OX%20March%2026%20014_zpsvdzihsyi.jpg

Soon the “Hatman” had managed to place part one of three in the record book.

OX%20March%2026%20015_zpsusukpii9.jpg

OX%20March%2026%20017_zpswobympal.jpg

One fish down and two to go. Now folks, this lake traditionally hasn’t been kind to Tim “Cool Dad” Gill. But today things were different! Today for some reason Tim decided to put his Big Boy pants on and be determined to bring one of these bad boys to hand!! Not long after lightning struck Jim’s pole the Father of Cool has a long distance call on the line!!!!!!! Within just a short time phase two of our mission was completed!

OX%20March%2026%20024_zpsc4qlvu47.jpg

OX%20March%2026%20025_zpsuidlwxki.jpg

OX%20March%2026%20026_zpsd2yssrdg.jpg

And then things came to a screeching halt. We waited. We had lunch. We waited. We talked it over. We waited. Nothing for hours…… not even a pre bump twitch!

Now folks, I’ve shared that there were three fish caught but who caught the last one? I would expect it to be Jim. I would have been shocked and humiliated had it been Cool Dad. So many things went through my mind as we waited all the more. I asked myself……”Would this be my memory of the unhooking mat today?”

OX%20March%2026%20031_zpshy3ydlmx.jpg

Would the Ol Captain have to go home empty handed today?

OX%20March%2026%20032_zpsrs17zob6.jpg

It seemed like hours but we waited some more. After a while I didn’t know what would come first. Would I get a run or would the duck eggs that I’d seen this morning beneath the Oak tree hatch?

OX%20March%2026%20002_zpsf3xnanyz.jpg

Well finally and much like Cool Dad I got my heart right. I reared back and chunked my strawberry grits and Puff to dead center field and finally after waiting all day I too, finally had a fish on!!! After a few runs I finally rassled that thing to the mat, carefully unhooked it and soon had my picture made like a big boy!!!

OX%20March%2026%20034_zpsojhodvra.jpg

OX%20March%2026%20037_zps3fjuex48.jpg

Three fish, three anglers and every child a winner!! What a great day! By the WEIGH folks, we only had three fish but (change of direction) the three fish totaled just a tad over 85 pounds!!!!

Today was a Humdinger for sure but days like this happen on occasion. You want to try this on for size? Then come see us!

OX%20March%2026%20041_zpshhzlfuby.jpg

olcaptain

Thanks guys. Max was there he was just laying low. He doesn't like the taste of those Grassers :)