Brindle yotes

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never saw this color before. Had a lot of black ones around the last couple years, but never saw a brindle until my buddy got this pic.

Attachments

• camoyotes.jpg
    camoyotes.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 3,404

ryanh487

dang, and 2 of them to boot. Those would look mighty nice on either side of the fire place, or make a really cool display full body mount fighting/attacking a deer.

dtala

looks like a Dutch Shepherd or brindle Malinois got mixed it there...very unusual color for sure.

joey1919

I wonder if the black in all these "coyotes" we see is something left over from the extinct black Florida wolf. Our coyotes look different anyway and I cant recall seeing any photos of a black phase western coyote.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice persimmons in the background....

Yep. The camera ain't there for nothing. :)

I wonder if the black in all these "coyotes" we see is something left over from the extinct black Florida wolf. Our coyotes look different anyway and I cant recall seeing any photos of a black phase western coyote.

It's definitely the wolf DNA in the eastern yotes that causes the much bigger size, the tendency to hunt in packs, all the color variations. Most studies that have been done so far show that our eastern "coyotes" are mostly wolf/coyote hybrids. I doubt that the small southeastern brush wolves were ever killed to extinction to start with, like the bigger timber wolves in the southern Appalachians were. Our present-day "coyotes" pretty much fit to a T the descriptions of the small species of southeastern wolves given in the writings of William Bartram and several others in the 1700s.

joey1919

Yep. The camera ain't there for nothing. :)

It's definitely the wolf DNA in the eastern yotes that causes the much bigger size, the tendency to hunt in packs, all the color variations. Most studies that have been done so far show that our eastern "coyotes" are mostly wolf/coyote hybrids. I doubt that the small southeastern brush wolves were ever killed to extinction to start with, like the bigger timber wolves in the southern Appalachians were. Our present-day "coyotes" pretty much fit to a T the descriptions of the small species of southeastern wolves given in the writings of William Bartram and several others in the 1700s.

I agree. The wolf/coyote subject has always been interesting to me. While the current species, whatever you want to call it, has been a real pain in my rear at times it's still a pretty interesting study.

The Florida black wolf, and if it was actually a seperate subspecies or not is apparently up for some debate. I have a hard time finding much information on it.

shdw633

Almost have that look of wild dogs in Africa.

beginnersluck

I've seen several of those around. Last year I had twins come in while I was hunting NF land and they looked like calico cats...orange black and tan...that was a first for me.

kbuck1

This one looks similar

Attachments

• 20150310_132841.jpg
    20150310_132841.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 2,264
  • SUNP0103.jpg
    SUNP0103.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 2,325

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Just like Bartram described.

UncleLee

Gotta buddy who is a bar pilot on Savannah River -- swears he has seen wolves (not coyotes or dogs) on some of the small uninhabited islands and spits between Tybee and Savannah Port.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Gotta buddy who is a bar pilot on Savannah River -- swears he has seen wolves (not coyotes or dogs) on some of the small uninhabited islands and spits between Tybee and Savannah Port.

There`s still some Carolina dogs there too, along with brush wolves.

Killdee

They are cool looking critters, wish they weren't so bad on the deer population.

undertaker84

Seen one like that on family land in Rocky Ford, GA probably a decade ago. First glance, thought it may have been a small german shepherd. Scoped him and realized, not. I regret not shooting him, I was not that educated then about the impact of coyotes and as he would have made a beautiful mount.