My garden skills are terrible. What am I doing wrong?

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
I got a farmer to till a area a foot deep. Before I did that I spread chicken manure over the top of it. Thin layer. Planted 13 tomatoes 5 squash 2 cucumber and 7 pepper plants. I'm gonna have to replant 7 of the plants total. Little bit of everything. It did flood a week after planting. But I'm watering every 4 days if no rain. Miracle grow every 10 days. The alive ones are growing but not like others I've seen. I planted them with top soil and mixed it all in with the dirt. Me and my son really worked hard on this and it's demoralizing. Any tips?

Possum

Banned
Welcome to the club. Every year we plant a garden and every year it’s mediocre. Every year we say “next year we will get it right” thank god for the grocery store. We’d starve otherwise.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If he is watering it in deep... some folks think spraying a water hose over it for 5 minutes is watering the garden. You do more damage than good with stuff like that. A good watering is several hours of watering with a sprinkler. Set a straight walled container like an open soup can out where you are sprinkling. Keep the water running until you have at least a 1/2 inch of water in the can. That will allow the water to soak into the soil, not just dampen the top layer.

work2play2

In response to all. I am watering deep. Maybe I should cut back? And as far as miracle grow, cut it off for a few weeks?

work2play2

Thanks for all advice. I'm all ears. Watering with a hose but slowly letting it soak in the ground then watering more. I'm gonna have to replace half the plants I'm hoping it doesn't happen with those as well. Some look very healthy. But few and far between

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
another thing... there ain't no way he tilled it a foot deep. 4inches at the most. A tiller would have to have nearly 30 inches rotating tines to till a foot deep. The best way to break up soil deep is either a subsoiler, or lacking that, an all purpose plow. You MIGHT get a foot deep with an all purpose, and you can get maybe 20 inches with a sub soiler.

agree... soil test is mandatory. It is surprising to me how many people will plant year after year after year, spending hundreds of dollars, yet they won't spend $10 for a soil test that will give them the information they need to grow a decent crop

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It was already composted. Sorry for confusion. And was rolled up a foot with other dirt

not if all he did was till...... 4 inches if you are lucky. More than likely less than 3 inches.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Welcome to the club. Every year we plant a garden and every year it’s mediocre. Every year we say “next year we will get it right” thank god for the grocery store. We’d starve otherwise.

When did you last do a soil test?

I think the heavy rains hurt a lot of people. You should probably lime everything really good to balance out the nitrogen from the manure.

Killdee

I never done a soil test, rarely ever water except when setting out plants and a week after and have a great garden every year. I do water out of my rain barrels if we have a prolonged drought. I use a lot of compost I make year round and a small amount of 10-10-10 and add lime a couple times a year. I may do a soil test one of these days just for the ha ha's but I just garden and plant the way I was brought up doing it minus almost all pesticides. I also mulch everything heavily and it gets tilled in after that planting is played out along with that plant in most cases. Keep trying, flood or over fertilizing may have done yours in, plenty of time to re plant.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d guess the chicken litter burned up the young plants , it don’t take much , and to everyone that’s saying soil samples are mandatory or it’s pointless, my dad has been growing a garden all of my life in the same spot and has never done a sample and always makes more than we care to put up , gives all of his neighbors all kinds of vegetables , makes it hard for them to say no when he stops by and asks if he can kill that gobbler strutting in their field ! Good luck , it can be a job , I’ve tried a few times and just decided to help my dad when things need done in his

JackSprat

Two comments. Well maybe more.

I agree that that much chicken manure is too hot.

You are watering too much. Once a week is plenty unless you see obvious wilting as it gets hot. Even then, plants will wilt in mid-day when it gets hot like it has the last couple of days amd cpme back fine..

You don't mention lime. In GA., for best results with veggies you need lime. If you use HORTICULURAL lime it will offset some of the effects of the hot manure.

If you can get that farmer back, have him subsoil your garden. When I started doing this (subsoiling), I was amazed at the difference it made. I couldn't pick all the tomatoes from the plants I planted in the subsoiled row.

I'm not putting down soil tests - I do them- and they mostly confirm what I'm doing. Soil tests don't tell you about your watering habits. 10-10-10 and some lime will take you a long way.