High Falls Lake and Avondale Lake, Decatur

PhilGur

Good day to everybody here!

Long story short, 2 months ago I moved to Atlanta with my wife for a year, she is an exchange student at Emory. Soon enough I realized how much I want to go fishing, so I bought an Ugly Stik combo, some plastic, a license and went to High Falls Lake on Sunday to catch my first fish in Western hemisphere (I'm from Russia, actually). The result
is on the pic, not much, but I'm very happy, considering we don't have bass in Russia at all. Caught on Carolina rig with Senko-style watermelon worm.

This week went to Avondale lake just near our house, caught a couple of small guys, no more then 10 inches.

Wanted to ask a question: what places should I try within 1-1.5 hour ride from Atlanta for bank fishing? I'm up to anything: bass, trout, catfish, carp, the problem is I have no boat :D
As I found out, public access to shoreline is another issue, so I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Attachments

• received_1614034578655200.jpg
    received_1614034578655200.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 835

westcobbdog

Welcome to Ga., in your short time you have left here in the State I would suggest you fish for striped bass on Lanier with a guide going out this Spring, trout fish some of the great trout water of Ga like the Soque or Toccoa Rivers or the Chattahoochee while also bass fishing any private ponds you can get permission to fish. There are also places like PFA’ s to fish. Ga has some big bass including the 80 or 90 year old world record 22lb 4 oz from S Ga.

I'm also a transplant to Georgia. I'd be happy to take you to Lawrenceville, Collins Hill Park and we can fish from the shore together if you'd like.

JackSprat

This week went to Avondale lake just near our house, caught a couple of small guys, no more then 10 inches.

That's probably close to lake record. I started fishing that lake in 1963, and the largest fish I ever caught was a massive shiner. It is very shallow, and gets incredible pressure. Every couple of years someone will pull out a 2 or 3 pounder. I really honed my bait casting on that lake.

As I found out, public access to shoreline is another issue, so I would be grateful for any suggestions.

On Corps of Engineer lakes (Lanier) and the newer Ga. Power lakes (Oconee) there is a strip of land that goes around the whole lake (except for security areas) that belongs to the lake owner (COE or GA. Power) and it is available for public access. Lakefront property owners will try to tell you different, but those are the facts

St. Mtn Park has a nice lake.