Black bird with white markings

cramer

My wife and I had a red winged blackbird show up last weekend at the feeder that had about 25% white markings.
I got a blurry picture of it, but have been hoping to see it again for a better picture.
I watched him/her on the suet a few times and at first glance thought it was just another woodpecker, until I got binoculars on it.

Very cool bird - ever seen one like that?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Your sure it wasn`t a rose breasted grosbeak?

cramer

positive on the id
I have a picture, but it's blurry and I can't get it to upload.
never seen one like it before and haven't seen it since last Sunday.

carver

Not that common but birds,like other animals can be affected by Leucism or piebald,here's a Lark Sparrow I took a pic. of in my yard,look up "Leucism in birds"

Attachments

• DSC_0002 (3)[1].JPG
    DSC_0002 (3)[1].JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 755

cramer

trying to upload

Attachments

• blackbird.jpg
    blackbird.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 711
  • blackbird 1.jpg
    blackbird 1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 773

cramer

sorry for the blurry pics - we saw it on the suet plain as day, ran for the camera and had to shoot though the storm door while it was in the tree.

carver

Sure looks like it has Leucism to me.

cramer

There is at least one other blackbird in the second pic with the marked bird.
It was flying with a small group of blackbirds that morning and I was in and out of the living room, kept seeing it fly to the suet, thought it was a hairy woodpecker by glancing, then told my wife we had a rose breasted grosbeak out front which we get at certain times of the year, and she said, nope - that's a crazy blackbird.
I started paying attention , got binos on him and then ran for the camera, cause I knew Quack wouldn't believe me w/o a pic or a link:bounce:

Anyways it was very cool and I wish it would come back, but it's probably in Nic's front yard by now - and he's out back:cool: