Interesting morning in the turkey woods

Jody Hawk

I ran across this old cemetery this morning while turkey hunting. I couldn't read one headstone but the other read ....

Eveline Moreland
Born 1839
Died March 2, 1903
My trust is in God

There were alot of plain stone markers out there too. Can't help but wonder about the stories behind these folks. Also, I ran across this old hoe in a ditch. There's no telling how old it is.

Attachments

• DSCN0300 (450 x 600).jpg
    DSCN0300 (450 x 600).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 807
  • DSCN0301 (450 x 600).jpg
    DSCN0301 (450 x 600).jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 822
  • DSCN0302 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCN0302 (600 x 450).jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 842

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Very interesting,that hoe looks like it could serve again.

Jody,

The probate court is supposed to keep a record of all cemeteries in the county. Have you checked with it to see if that is marked? If not, you could make a real contribution by providing the info.

Jody Hawk

Jody,

The probate court is supposed to keep a record of all cemeteries in the county. Have you checked with it to see if that is marked? If not, you could make a real contribution by providing the info.

I didn't but maybe I will. This cemetery is far from the road out in the woods. I actually found it about eight years ago but had forgotten exactly where it was. I stumbled upon again the other morning.

We've also got an old one on our hunting lease that dates back to the 1800s.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=11751&highlight=cemetery

Nitro

Banned
Jody, there is an old family plot cemetery on a club I was in over in Monroe County.

We were told by the owner's caretaker that the unmarked stones were probably slave markers...

This property was a working farm or plantation back in the 1850s- 1880s..

Quite a historic place you found.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Interesting Morning

Also, I ran across this old hoe in a ditch. There's no telling how old it is.

Jody: The old cemetery is neat, but it was the old hoe that caught my eye. It appears to be a genuine Scovil Hoe. This is the hoe that was used in the cultivation of cotton in the south when cotton was "king" and labor was cheap.

I have two Scovil Hoes that I still use on occasion. They have the Scovil logo stamped into them at the factory. Yours is likely too rusted to be able to discern the logo.

You will be interested in reading the story of the Scovil Hoe.

Note the sale price: $12 to $14 per dozen.

http://www.kenyongyro.net/kenyongyro/id6.html

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Jody: The old cemetery is neat, but it was the old hoe that caught my eye. It appears to be a genuine Scovil Hoe. This is the hoe that was used in the cultivation of cotton in the south when cotton was "king" and labor was cheap.

I have two Scovil Hoes that I still use on occasion. They have the Scovil logo stamped into them at the factory. Yours is likely too rusted to be able to discern the logo.

Mr. Holt,thank you for the Scovil hoe information.I have a Scovil grubbing hoe that I bought from an old hardware store that was going out of business years ago.The store was in Ft. Valley,Ga.The hoe was unused when I bought it,I've used it a very little in the garden.The name is plainly stamped in the blade.I'll try to make some pictures and post them.

Jody Hawk

Vernon,
I have actually found several of these hoes within a few miles from where this one lay over the years. I figured that they were used when folks farmed cotton years ago. Thanks for the info.