My Wyoming turkey hunting adventure, a musical journey in several parts

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
It has taken me longer to sit down and start on this than I would have thought. Several reasons why, normal stuff like work, family stuff and whatnot but I think part of it is writing this story means it’s really over. I don’t want it to be over.

Late last Wednesday night or very, very early last Thursday morning, depending on how you look at it and who you ask, me and one of my closest and best friends departed for Wyoming for a turkey hunting trip.

This trip was something we had planned for the last year and even though I got up at three that morning and the Atlanta airport also known as the seventh ring of Hades as far as I’m concerned was as ridiculous and awful as it is any other time, none of it dampened our excitement.

My buddy Daniel and I were in the Marine Corps together, served in Iraqi Freedom together and both being Georgia boys we made each other a promise we would get together regularly after we got out of the Corps. We have made good on that promise and have hunted and fished together for the nearly twenty years that have passed since then. When my daddy died and I went to the funeral home for his visitation there was Daniel when I walked in. Got off work, drove from Atlanta, put on his Sunday best in his truck, and drove home after. They don’t make many of em like him and I’m blessed to have him as a friend. He has been on several hunting trips out west. This was my first. As much as I wanted to go he had to talk me into it. I can be like that sometimes. I’m glad I listened to him.

After waiting around in the airport, running up with two of the three others who were going with us, it was finally time to board our flight. We had to fly to Minneapolis, catch another flight to Rapid City South Dakota, and rent a car and drive to Alzada Montana which is where we were actually staying with the hunting taking place right over the state line in Wyoming.

I was fired up. If you know much about me you know there are few things I love as much as hunting turkeys. And the prospect of killing a Miriam was really exciting. But beneath my enthusiasm was something else. I was nervous. Not much scares me. I have long since shed any fear I ever had of death. But I was nervous about the flights. I couldn’t understand why. I’ve flown many times. Always enjoyed it. But I was dreading these flights. After trying to force myself to think about something else, I finally just decided to confront it. I was worried about my daughter. I’ve got a ten year old daughter who means more to me than anything in the world and the thought of leaving her too soon was gnawing at me in ways I hadn’t anticipated. As excited as I was, Driveby Truckers’ song about the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash, Angels and Fuselage, was playing on a loop in my head. Patterson Hood’s almost whispered lyrics about what must have been going through Ronnie Van Zant’s mind as that plane plummeted toward the Louisiana swamp and his untimely death were almost audible.

Lookin out the window
The trees are gettin closer it seems
I’m thinkin bout you darlin
Addin up the cost of these dreams

That sure was hitting home. What was I doing leaving my family for such a self indulgent act as a hunting trip out west? I’m no rich guy. What if this was how I left them. I thought a fitting epitaph would be, “Here lies a selfish, stupid man.” But my wife and daughter had encouraged me to make this trip as they both knew how much it meant to me. I finally drove my negative thoughts away with the lyrics to one of Mike Cooley’s songs from the same album which has long served as something of a personal mantra for me.

Dead is dead and it ain’t no different
Than walkin around if you ain’t livin
Livin in fear is just another way
Of dyin before your time

I put those negative thoughts behind me, shut my mouth, and got on the plane headed for an adventure of a lifetime.

To be continued…

menhadenman

Semper Fi too - I was born in Okinawa and dad is in Arlington after 20 years of pure t leatherneck life.

I’ve hunting WY for around 15 years. Lemme know where you’re headed in case I know of a watering hole or sweet place to glass elk.

menhadenman

And I used to fly tens of thousands of miles a year. My trick was taking my boots off because I’ll die with my boots on.

You’ve got a better chance of getting sideswiped by a drunkard on the way to the airport so I wouldn’t worry about that air (y)

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
And I used to fly tens of thousands of miles a year. My trick was taking my boots off because I’ll die with my boots on.

You’ve got a better chance of getting sideswiped by a drunkard on the way to the airport so I wouldn’t worry about that air (y)
Yeah I’ve never worried about it before. It was weird. Everything turned out fine.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Part II

I’m lonesome but happy
I’m rich but I’m broke
I’m a care free range rider
I’m a driftin cowpoke-Colter Wall, from the song Cowpoke

I’ve climbed up the Rockies
And swam down the Snake
Spent winters trappin
In the Missouri Breaks
This ain’t the first time
I’ve been in a jam
I’m from Two Dot Montana
And I don’t give a “dang”-Hank Williams Jr from the song Two Dot Montana

Just before takeoff we were told to expect a “little” rough air. More like a lot. I swear we ran over a hog somewhere between Atlanta and Minneapolis. That was alright. My mind was set and I was ready to make this trip. We had a short layover in Minneapolis, that place is a real hole in case you’ve never been there and were wondering, and ate breakfast at a McDonalds even though to us it should have been just about dinner time. The flight from there to Rapid City South Dakota was a lot shorter and thank the Lord for that. The plane was a lot smaller. No movie to watch of course. Daniel ended up seated next to a cute little sorority girl from Houston who was flying for the first time and would grab his arm every time we hit some rough air. I ended up next to an aging biker chick was nice but said almost nothing and wasn’t much to look at. Such is my luck. More on that later in the story.

We landed in South Dakota and I learned a couple of things. First, the people in South Dakota are just absolutely some of the nicest and most open people you could ever hope to meet. The airport was small but great. The folks working there treated us like we were their favorite cousins that they hadn’t seen in a while. They smiled and chatted with us while they helped us. Quite the contrast from the put upon and lazy jerks at the Atlanta airport. I know one is huge and one is small but there’s more to it than that. It’s a whole different mindset. We grabbed our stuff, Daniel rented a car, and the third of the other three guys making the trip with us finally ran up with us there. The three of them were riding together and me and Daniel were riding together. They somehow ended up being “upgraded” to a nice SUV. Me and Daniel got a minivan. Yeah. As we were loading our stuff in the van some other Georgia boys we had met during our layover who were going on their own turkey hunting trip in South Dakota gave us some ribbing. “Wax them turkeys in that minivan old son! Don’t be drinkin no Bud Lights.” they called as we passed them headed out of the parking lot and out onto the road.

I’m a pretty simple man. I don’t need a lot of extras. I don’t need frills. Going on this trip was enough for me. Daniel is real similar. But these three other fellas weren’t exactly that way. One of them was a friend of Daniel’s with another being that guy’s business partner and the last being a vendor they deal with. All nice enough fellas. But not as easy to please as the two of us. They called and said for us to just stop wherever we saw to eat dinner on the drive to Montana saying they weren’t picky. A few miles later they called again saying we had just driven right past a steakhouse. Daniel rolled his eyes after he got off the phone and told me, “Man as far as I’m concerned we could stop at an Arby’s or something.” He had told them to lead the way and we stopped off in Sturgis, which is just a totally normal little town, and ate at some Burger place/micro brewery. The food was fine and I had one of their beers and it was pretty good. But I didn’t care about any of that. I was ready to get where we were going.

As we rolled past Deadwood my excitement grew. Not just about the hunt but about being in a part of the country I had always dreamed of seeing. Some of y’all are probably like me and grew up loving westerns. As a child I wanted to be a cowboy. My heroes were John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen, Jimmy Stewart. I loved shows like Gun Smoke, Wagon Train, and Bonanza. That big country out west and the freedom of all of it appealed to me even then and it still does. I loved the stories of the early Europeans who became mountain men and lived side by side with the Indians even if they had to fight and risk being killed by them first. The stories of gun fighters, men who lived life truly free and on their own terms like James Butler “Wild Bill” Hickock annd Hugh Glass are something I’m still moved and inspired by. As we rolled through the Black Hills and looked and took in distances that don’t even seem possible down here, it all seemed more real than it ever had. Out there silly societal restrictions like HOAs, PR departments, and all that comes with such foolishness as well as the hobgoblins they beget seemed impossible and even more absurd. This was the land of “toxic masculinity.” No cities for miles. No suburbs. No golf cart communities. No Chads and no Karens. Only small towns and very few of those. Mostly, almost totally, there was nothing but hills, open prairies, and beyond that dark and beautiful mountains beyond them brooding in the distance. I fell in love with the place immediately.

As we continued on we spotted groups of antelope. The air was noticeably cooler. This was a place I had always wanted to be. We passed a sign letting me know we were in Wyoming and Devil’s Tower was close by. I could hardly believe I was getting to do this and we weren’t even there yet. I was living a lifelong dream.

Ain’t no point gettin out of bed
If you ain’t livin the dream
It’s like makin a big old pot of coffee
When you ain’t got no cream-Sturgill Simpson from the song Livin the Dream

To be continued…

IMG_0584.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpegIMG_0588.jpeg
IMG_0590.jpeg
IMG_0591.jpegIMG_0594.jpegIMG_0597.jpeg
IMG_0602.jpeg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`m taking it all in. You`re reminding me of a trip I took in 1975 to northwest Colorado for mule deer. My experiences of the high plains and the Rockies mirror what you are writing, and making me relive those times.

Keep on keeping on. Enjoying this.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I`m taking it all in. You`re reminding me of a trip I took in 1975 to northwest Colorado for mule deer. My experiences of the high plains and the Rockies mirror what you are writing, and making me relive those times.

Keep on keeping on. Enjoying this.
I’m glad, Nic. I surely will. Lots more to come.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Brother, this is freaking awesome. Loving the story and the pics and seeing it through your eyes. (and the music. :bounce: ) I've never been out there but always wanted to, so thanks for taking me along. Just the history in that area is fascinating. Looking forward to the next installment.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Brother, this is freaking awesome. Loving the story and the pics and seeing it through your eyes. (and the music. :bounce: ) I've never been out there but always wanted to, so thanks for taking me along. Just the history in that area is fascinating. Looking forward to the next installment.
Thanks, buddy.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And I'm scared a fairly good amount of what's coming next
'Cause angels I see in the trees.....