Walker County Turkeys

Inthegarge

Crazy Turkey Day in Walker County

Well, I thought I would be sharing a great story of the 1st bird for this year........BUT..... Instead I will tell a crazy story.......

Got set up this morning and just after sunrise I did a fly down cackle and had a Gobbler sound off about 150 yards away............. I wait about 5 minutes and do a little yelping and he gobbled again but closer.... He was coming a different way than I expected.....I had to move around the tree and I was behind a deadfall, perfect setup I thought............Then I heard another Tom gobble to the left of the 1st bird.......I do some soft purring and both Tom's gobbled about 25 yards above me................. I waited not knowing which way they were going........I heard them coming and got ready.....I just caught a glimpse of turkey legs among the deadfall.....I am hoping this is not a Hen and I don't get busted...........Then I saw a little blue and red head coming around the deadfall tree.......I waited to see if it was a Jake......Then I see the Tom with about a 9" beard......just as I see the head, chest and the legs, I line up my Tru glo's and the head and fire..... I hear the bird flopping and wings hitting the ground..........I jumped up and jacked in a round just to finish him off....As I get around the tree I see him jump up and fly down the ridge......??????????? How can you miss a bird at 8-9 feet ?? Any way, maybe things will go better next time.............

RW

mformica

Miss at 8 feet

I had my muzzleloader misfire (primer don't fire) on a 6 pointer at 10 yard. I was able to reset it and take 2 more non shots at him before he realized what was going on. Finally it went off on the 4th attempt but by then the buck was high tailing it away and I missed him at 15 yards.

PM sent, btw.

CBASS

Broke the ice this morning with this 2 yr old 8 1/2 in beard; 3/4 in spurs; 19 1/2 lbs.

Last Saturday my cousin got the armadillo on pigeon.

Attachments

• DSCF1153.jpg
    DSCF1153.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 557
  • DSCF1151.jpg
    DSCF1151.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 554

NGa.MtnHunter

Yall be careful out there this last week of turkey season, I killed this today...

Attachments

• 0-0-0 -01 005m.jpg
    0-0-0 -01 005m.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 0-0-0 -01 011m.jpg
    0-0-0 -01 011m.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 341

CBASS

Thankful for another season, only managed to get one this year heard lots of gobbling just seemed like the birds didn't want to play the game. Time to break out the fishing poles, start shooting the bow and wait on our little girl to get here in July! Looking forward to seeing everyone back on here this fall.

NGa.MtnHunter

You killed that in Villanow????

Yikes. We see lots of black snakes. I've never seen a rattler up in Walker County.

Yep Villanow area, if you get out and about much around here in the summer time you'll run up on one. See a good many run over in the road too.

mformica

I do, in and around LaFayette. But haven't seen one before. Are there many up on Pigeon Mountain?? I assume so, but I haven't seen them.

NGa.MtnHunter

Never seen one at Pigeon but the only time I'm over there is in deer season, cooler weather so dont see snakes.
I did do some dozer work on the west side of Pigeon a few years back in the summer time, took me about 3 days and never seen a snake of no kind.