Florida Turkeys

ogilly

Hey y'all, first and foremost I want to thank everyone who reached out to me when I asked about turkey hunting in Georgia/Alabama earlier in the spring while I was in Fort Benning. This community is incredibly gracious and knowledgeable and I'm very glad I took the chance to post my question. I didn't end up getting anything, but I had a couple close encounters- at the end of the day, that's what it's all about.

I'm back here with a bit of a Hail Mary. The upcoming year is shaping up to be incredibly eventful- I'm getting married in the late spring, and I'm getting deployed to the Middle East at the end of the year. I want to treat myself to a turkey hunt to try to chase my Grand Slam before those events happen, so I'm hoping to get down to Florida to knock down an Osceola. I recognize that there is ample public land down there, but I've only heard horror stories about how crowded and competitive it is. That being said, I've reached out to a number of outfitters, and they're either all booked up for the spring or flat out haven't gotten back to me... and it's been over a month in a few cases. Does anybody here have experiences or contact information for any outfitters or people down there that would be willing to help a guy out? I know it's a hot commodity down there and prices can get a bit wild, so I'm hoping to keep it under $1000. My other option is to chase a Rio in Oklahoma and/or Kansas, but I figured I'd give you good people a shout before I fall too far down that rabbit hole.

Any and everything is appreciated, thank you all once again. I hope your summer was full of fish and your fall is full of good time spent in the woods. Lord knows it's always good for me. Much love from the Midwest.

Dupree

Any reputable outfitter will be booked for 2024 as well as cost more than $1000.

DynamicDennis

Those stories about the management areas are true. I live close to several, and ain't no way I'm going on any. Unless I draw a special opportunity tag. Which seems to be impossible. I would expect to pay upwards of $2500 for a real Osceola.

BASS1FUN

I reached out to a few outfitters way before the season and none of those guys ever contacted me so I said I’ll leave Florida alone, keep my money in my pockets

Last edited:

Lilly001

It’s been 20 years since I last hunted it but the southern Ocala National Forest used to be loaded with birds and minimal pressure. East of Dors lake, Farels Prarie, and south of the power line road are areas I hunted with much success.
I’m ignorant of any quota or permit requirements as I don’t keep up with that area now that I hunt Ga.

walukabuck

It’s been 20 years since I last hunted it but the southern Ocala National Forest used to be loaded with birds and minimal pressure. East of Dors lake, Farels Prarie, and south of the power line road are areas I hunted with much success.
I’m ignorant of any quota or permit requirements as I don’t keep up with that area now that I hunt Ga.
Ocala is now quota. I believe you have through this month to apply and permits are very limited. Was looking at applying after losing my lease of 13 years near gainesville but luckily found another lease. Drove around the pipeline unit in the summer some and saw quite a few birds

krizia829

Public land down here in FL CAN get ugly, but if you apply for quota hunts and get selected, it's really not bad. You just need to get further away from everyone else. They like to drive back and forth all day along main trails and follow people around.

Scout on google earth and if you get a chance to scout in person, go and find places that no one else would go through that you'd be willing to.
You will see more wildlife than anyone else. If the heat lets you lol just be safe out there. It ain't like GA lol just get there SUPER early.

I don't think you'll find any outfitter for under 1000 though. Turkey hunting is big down here.. I hope you do find something though!

Btw, thank you for your service!