Turkey Hunting in Florida

Gadget

I’m leaving today to start my season off with the northern zone Florida season opener this weekend and I was wondering what the guys who hunt Florida think about the overall Turkey population there. For me and the guys I talk to who hunt every year from the southern zone in Big Cypress up to the Osceola line on Interstate 10 around Tallahassee the population is down in most areas public and private. Florida has decreased hunting opportunities on a lot of public lands the last few years. Some the areas have gone from open access to quota, they’ve reduced the quotas and number of hunters in other areas. Similar situation as Georgia.

Gator89

I can't speak to public land properties, only what I see on private in the area.

The turkey population in central FL seems to be doing well, we are seeing a few birds on my wife's family farm regularly now. The property had 0 birds even walking across it when I lived there in the 1980's. The Villages is developing several thousand acres to the east/northeast of the farm and that is likely pushing birds to us.

It is probably too soon for me to hunt the birds on the farm, need to give them a couple of years to get established.

Gadget

I can't speak to public land properties, only what I see on private in the area.

The turkey population in central FL seems to be doing well, we are seeing a few birds on my wife's family farm regularly now. The property had 0 birds even walking across it when I lived there in the 1980's. The Villages is developing several thousand acres to the east/northeast of the farm and that is likely pushing birds to us.

It is probably too soon for me to hunt the birds on the farm, need to give them a couple of years to get established.

I have a few small acreage private spots I can hunt but that’s like hunting baited yard birds which require no skill whatsoever so I choose to hunt public land instead. Those small private tracts still have some birds but less than they used to. The 4-5 public land areas I hunt all have noticeably less birds and seem to be affected more.

Dupree

I’ve only hunted Florida opening weekend of 2020 season. It was through an “outfitter” and we bounced around from 40 acre orange grove to the next all day. He would park, I’d get out and walk and call, then on to the next one.

I saw people hunting on neighboring properties everywhere we went. The hotel in Arcadia was nothing but turkey hunters. I was surprised that there was any turkeys left in that area after seeing what I saw.

Gator89

I’ve only hunted Florida opening weekend of 2020 season. It was through an “outfitter” and we bounced around from 40 acre orange grove to the next all day. He would park, I’d get out and walk and call, then on to the next one.

I saw people hunting on neighboring properties everywhere we went. The hotel in Arcadia was nothing but turkey hunters. I was surprised that there was any turkeys left in that area after seeing what I saw.

South of Highway 70 is probably the first turkey hunting to open in the US every spring, so it makes sense it would get a lot of pressure.

trkyhnt89

Population way down, no reason for anyone to come down here to fish or hunt.

I'm lucky enough to have a very large private tract to hunt, our years vary with the hatches....... but it is one of the best turkey properties I've been on in the country. We seem to always have the birds and call it the "factory".

People I know down in the glades with camps have been complaining the past few years about pressure and lack of birds but that's no surprise. I think the off years are magnified by the amount of people trying to hunt down there now.

Gadget

Population way down, no reason for anyone to come down here to fish or hunt.

I'm lucky enough to have a very large private tract to hunt, our years vary with the hatches....... but it is one of the best turkey properties I've been on in the country. We seem to always have the birds and call it the "factory".

People I know down in the glades with camps have been complaining the past few years about pressure and lack of birds but that's no surprise. I think the off years are magnified by the amount of people trying to hunt down there now.

Bear island turned quota this year for the first time, birds are way down in Big Cypress, I didn’t go this year because the scouting reports were so terrible. My guys just came out with no birds this year, lots of other guys same story. So I’ll go try some my Northern zone spots this week but I’ve been down the last several years and have already seen the decline. I’m doing zero scouting, I’ve hunted these areas so much I already know all the good spots, just show up at A,B,C,D, etc, if somebody in that spot I got 10 more to choose from. Looks like a rain out for opening day, that’ll probably be good for me since I got all week.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Good luck to you, Rick. Hope you find a stubborn old bird to lock horns with.

Gadget

Thanks Nic, and that’s exactly what I’m looking for; a gobbler that wants to lock horns and play the game, don’t matter if I kill him, just give me a good game to play.

Gaswamp

Doesn't sound to fun

BigBass123

Can’t speak to North Florida, but on private cow fields there seems to be as many turkeys in Central/Northern South Florida as always.

Saw plenty of turkey tracks and heard hens during this past deer season on public.

Glenn

Turkeys population is not what it used to be on public land, but the birds are still there. Main problem is access, quotas, and the amount of out of state turkey hunters.

Even here in Tallahassee I’ve seen a bunch of turkey hunters from out of state just trying to kill a “Florida Turkey”.

The lack on non-quota WMAs within the state really makes it difficult to hunt public land. Definitely had more opportunities back in the late 80’s and 90’s.

flatsmaster

I have seen no reduction in turkeys on our private in east central Fl but we kill yotes and have minimal pressure .. I think some of the problem is the money these guys can charge for a Osceola a lot of people are now turkey guides and most areas get a lot of pressure and kills … need a Osceola for a slam and only 1 place to get it … maybe it’s the same in N Fl for a eastern but I’m guessing not … 893B9772-F392-4149-B829-153BBDF190FB.jpegmy 2 cents for what it’s worth62297552-E31C-4231-81D8-5FA6631DDCB7.jpegB9364630-0D23-4548-9517-50AA4D2355DB.jpeg

DynamicDennis

I have seen no reduction in turkeys on our private in east central Fl but we kill yotes and have minimal pressure .. I think some of the problem is the money these guys can charge for a Osceola a lot of people are now turkey guides and most areas get a lot of pressure and kills … need a Osceola for a slam and only 1 place to get it … maybe it’s the same in N Fl for a eastern but I’m guessing not … View attachment 1215792my 2 cents for what it’s worthView attachment 1215793View attachment 1215794
Wanna lease any of that ground!!!!!!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Turkeys population is not what it used to be on public land, but the birds are still there. Main problem is access, quotas, and the amount of out of state turkey hunters.

Even here in Tallahassee I’ve seen a bunch of turkey hunters from out of state just trying to kill a “Florida Turkey”.

The lack on non-quota WMAs within the state really makes it difficult to hunt public land. Definitely had more opportunities back in the late 80’s and 90’s.
What kind of work u do Glenn ?
Apalachicola is a pretty big place. ;)