Putting in an 18' x 36' carport.

j_seph

I want to put gravel down and curious the best way to do it. It is grass now, I thought about cutting the area for the carport close to the ground, then spraying, then dump my gravel/crush. Any other thoughts, don't wanna have grass growing through?

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I'd spray and lay down some commercial weed mat or some of the fabric they use for silt fencing.

j_seph

I'd spray and lay down some commercial weed mat or some of the fabric they use for silt fencing.
thought about that but wonder if hard rain would wash any of it away

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Don't cut the grass low before spraying. The more leaf surface you have the more uptake of the herbicide. Mow after it starts burning up.

Another thing you could apply is rock salt before graveling. They do this in cemetery grave sites that are graveled/marbled from what I was told.

Based on my experience with rock salt, my wife dumped out the water/ice/rock salt after making ice cream years ago in a spot in my landscape. I couldn't grow anything there until I dug that salted soil out and replaced it with new soil.

rjcruiser

Problem with salt is that it will rust the bases of your steel supports...but if you're using wood, I'd go salt. I would stay away from a barrier mat. Seems to me they tear and want to pull up....and dirt gets there and then weeds grow anyways.

jigman29

If you are gonna gravel under it the salt will be fine. The gravel with keep the two separate. Doesn't need to be rock salt as any salt will change the p.h. of the soil where the weeds wont grow. Mine has gravel and I just spray the weed killer ever year and go on about my business. But if you want to go the salt route go to tractor supply and get the stock salt. 50 lb is cheap and you can put it as thick as youd like then water it in.

hiawassee1

I know its not part of your question, but I have a 35 ft carport/shed , I would suggest running your roof vertical not horizontal. Mine is horizontal and deal with leaks. Just a suggestion from my experience.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
If this is just an open carport used for parking and you have decent soil already in place I would just use a soil sterilizer and put your base of choice(crusher run, #57, #4, GAB or concrete washout would all do fine, washout is free) in.
If you are going to have a lot of traffic on it and it is prone to get wet I would advise a geotech cloth under your rock.

Most any feed & seed will have soil sterilizer. It's basically like round up but it lasts for 5 years +.

95g atl

I have the exact size at my hunt club.
Level it.
Lay fabric.
Dump smaller gravel (if you are walking on it, large gravel and you trip - ask me how I know).
Install carport.
You can always lay fabric and gravel AFTER you install the carport.