How much would it take

rance56

2 part question

1. How much on a per acre basis do you think it would take for you to feel confident you could go out an secure a well above average tract of land within a 2 months time horizon here in Georgia

2. Same question as above but in a mid west state

Thanks.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If money was not a concern 100% it can be done.
On a small budget. 10% at best

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
In Georgia, you'll be looking at somewhere around $12-$15 per acre. In a few counties you'll be at $20 per acre

livetohunt

In West Central Illinois most of the well above average tracts of land are already leased for a high dollar amount. The landowners are usually loyal to whomever is already leasing from them too. So unless you came in with a ridiculous amount well above the lands value it would be tough. Also, most people who are willing to pay above the lands lease value would probably just buy their own farm to hunt. $50 acre seems to be the top end I have heard that people are paying to lease.

Not sure about Georgia.

grady white

If money was not a concern 100% it can be done.
On a small budget. 10% at best

^^^^^^
This ...and a lot of leg work and have the money ready in hand when you find it and don't hesitate ...if you find it and wait to think about it ..someone else will get it . My advice ...get with a good farmer / farming family and lease direct if you can ...most farmers are great people and the right farmer would rather get less money for his lease in exchange for knowing he is leasing to good honest people that will treat his land with respect !

JB0704

I Gots Goats
...get with a good farmer / farming family and lease direct if you can ...

That is next to impossible for folks who don't know any farmers, and don't know anybody who knows any farmers. Seems there is a trust issue, and understandably so. What I have found is those folks generally don't care what the offer is, they prefer not deal with the headaches that come with a hunting lease.

rance56

thanks for those responses. im willing to spend much more then i ever thought i would be willing to do so an still having trouble finding a personal lease in ohio or kansas. i use to think base camp was a rip off, but not so sure that is the case in todays marketplace.

i think in georgia in a decent county on decent land you could lease all the land you could come up with for 12 an acre. i dont think that dollar range moves the needle at all.

guess i need to change my approach. calling landowners and putting out signs has not paid much dividends.

Jim Boyd

Cold calls are tough but they can work.

Relationships are king.

Then, not screwing up (or not letting your guest / friends / lease mates screw up) is key. I saw two good Midwest leases get lost recently over stupid and lazy behavior.

Even so, land is available.

Where are the guys that are visiting grain bins, QDMA and NWTF meetings, going to hardware stores that specialize in farm equipment, going to Deer Classic events - all of this in Midwest states????

I went to the Deer Classic in Mt. Sterling (Brown County) Illinois last year and I almost garauntee you could have circulated in the crowd and gotten leads. I was with my landowner so I stuck close to him but there 5-600 people there with the same interest we have..... deer. Many were farmers that likely only shotgun hunt...

Leases are not going to come to you. Finding them is not easy and may require scouting trips to where you want to go.

Ask

Call

Visit

Fix gates

Remember birthdays

Be genuine and kind - and very respectful.

You will get a lot more NO than YES - but there will always be a place for honest, respectful and humble people.

My .02 anyway.

Best of luck!

SC - $8 to $20

Midwest - $25 to $40

All IMHO

Buckstop

^^^^^^
This ...and a lot of leg work and have the money ready in hand when you find it and don't hesitate ...if you find it and wait to think about it ..someone else will get it . My advice ...get with a good farmer / farming family and lease direct if you can ...most farmers are great people and the right farmer would rather get less money for his lease in exchange for knowing he is leasing to good honest people that will treat his land with respect !

This sums it up in a nutshell.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I hunted public land in Missouri for 6 years before we found some land to lease.

Timberman

I could lease prime land in Georgia or SC at whatever the going rate is within 2 months...but I know a few folks...

The midwest I'd be like everyone else

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I could lease prime land in Georgia or SC at whatever the going rate is within 2 months...but I know a few folks...

The midwest I'd be like everyone else

Rance56 would appreciate if you would find him some prime land.:cool::cheers:

deers2ward

In West Central Illinois most of the well above average tracts of land are already leased for a high dollar amount. The landowners are usually loyal to whomever is already leasing from them too. So unless you came in with a ridiculous amount well above the lands value it would be tough. Also, most people who are willing to pay above the lands lease value would probably just buy their own farm to hunt. $50 acre seems to be the top end I have heard that people are paying to lease.

Not sure about Georgia.

^^ Yes, I was going to say, the original post makes the assumption that such land is to be had.....

If folks looked at what they spent on leases and trucks and utvs, starbucks, yetis, craft beers, disney/spring break trips, etc......they could easily buy their own place.

Search "owner financing" on the land sale sites, stop buying stupid stuff, make a budget, and go from there

rance56

^^ Yes, I was going to say, the original post makes the assumption that such land is to be had.....

If folks looked at what they spent on leases and trucks and utvs, starbucks, yetis, craft beers, disney/spring break trips, etc......they could easily buy their own place.

Search "owner financing" on the land sale sites, stop buying stupid stuff, make a budget, and go from there

no assumptions were being made at all. that was at the heart of my question, if even if money is somewhat not an issue, can prime land still be found?

i thought i was setup for sometime in ohio, but main lease just got cut,a nd for the past few years i have been searching for back ups an havent found what im looking for and now new land is a neccesity not a luxury. on top of that i have hunted on some of the finest land in the world for whitetails, and even sat in the exact same stand that tyler jordan has hunted out of, so its very hard to settle on something just to have a place to hunt.