Timber contract/prices/questions

RatherB

BANNED
I have a tract of 60-70 acres of 27 year old pines in Wilkes county that is due for second thinning.
I reached out to a local logger that has good reviews online about thinning. So for they’ve been helpful and good to work with.
The contract sent gives them 1 year to cut although he has told me it would be soon.

One question I have is the price per ton in his contract is only $4 for pulp and $14 for chip and saw. When I look at prices on timber mart south it was up around $8 for pine pulp and over $20 for CNS.

How do I know if I’m getting best price?

I called another logger who was recommended to me (twice) and they never called me back.

Has anyone had their land cut in the area recently, what was your price and would you recommend the loggers?

ClemsonRangers

seems low, but pine prices always drop this time of year

chip and saw is tight now too (quota)

GDAWG84

Ok so Timber Mart South compiles prices and data statewide and region wide. What you are seeing is a region wide average, not specific prices. Your individual prices are going to be dictated by haul distance, mill competition, ground conditions, timber type, etc. And also keep in mind that timber is currently in a falling market so TMS might not be indicative of current price conditions.

Triple C

You may want to consider working with a consulting forester to manage the sale of your timber.

I recently clearcut 73 acres of 32 yr old loblolly and second thinned a larger tract of 22 yr old loblolly.

I’ve used the same forester since 2011. He oversaw the bidding process and was onsite several times a week during the harvest process.

He also handled the aerial spraying of the clearcut, prescribed burn 2 weeks ago and the replanting of new stand of loblolly that was done this week.

Based on my two timber harvests since 2015, that price seems low. However, as others stated, a lot of variables in determining stumpage prices.

I’ll be 83 when this stand is ready for its first thinning.
9BF6B9C7-0E43-44C4-8089-0584CD5003CE.jpeg

52B6F454-77D4-49E2-AB7C-3D372841AA97.jpeg