Timber management, SMZS and turkeys

ssramage

Have seen standard SMZ's from a previous cut narrowed down to just the trees on the actual creek bank on recent cuts.

Definitely see if more the further south you go where creek banks aren't as defined.

The SMZ on our lease got absolutely raped last year. It was one of the only hardwood areas on our club and a prime turkey roost area. The timber company left only the trees on the bank and took everything else.

Gaswamp

good info indeed

Gadget

Great video, I've talked with Dr Grant Woods and been to his seminars over the years.

We trap and shoot predators at our place. Last year I estimate 100 hogs, 20 coons, 15 bobcats, 10 coyotes, 10 possums. That's only a drop in the bucket, those numbers need to be double that. The coyotes and hogs are what have exploded the most. We could easily take 50 yotes

Last edited:

crackerdave

Great video, I've talked with Dr Grant Woods and been to his seminars over the years.

We trap and shoot predators at our place. Last year I estimate 100 hogs, 20 coons, 15 bobcats, 10 coyotes, 10 possums. That's only a drop in the bucket, those numbers need to be double that. The coyotes and hogs are what have exploded the most. We could easily take 50 yotes
The coyotes and hogs will continue to explode.They have no natural enemies,and humans aren't killing enough of them to even make a dent in the population or to achieve any balance.

They will eat,that is a sure thing.Until the food is gone,anyway.

We could feed a small country just on the wild pork that is going to waste.Nobody wants to process it,so it is piled up for the scavengers to eat.

Last edited:

Gadget

The coyotes and hogs will continue to explode.They have no natural enemies,and humans aren't killing enough of them to even make a dent in the population or to achieve any balance.

They will eat,that is a sure thing.Until the food is gone,anyway.

We could feed a small country just on the wild pork that is going to waste.Nobody wants to process it,so it is piled up for the scavengers to eat.

We were finding homes for all the hogs we killed until 3 years ago, now we kill so many that we leave em where they lay or dump them in a pit.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I do know that the nwtf has contributed money for land purchases. 2-3 years ago they put some money with other groups and the state to purchase a tract that bordered paulding forest. I’m sure a quick google search could give you some details. That being said, I feel like they have become such a large group with so much overhead and frivolous expenses that my money would be better used by turkeys for tomorrow. I will still go to a local nwtf banquet and buy some raffle tickets and such, but when they send me a letter every month or two asking for more money I throw it in the trash.

Is this "turkeys for tomorrow " gonna have banquets also?
I actually used to like to go to banquets, DU, RMEF, NWTF.
I have not been to a banquet in a long time, but I enjoyed them and buyin raffle tickets and hoping money went to somethin good.

Dupree

Is this "turkeys for tomorrow " gonna have banquets also?
I actually used to like to go to banquets, DU, RMEF, NWTF.
I have not been to a banquet in a long time, but I enjoyed them and buyin raffle tickets and hoping money went to somethin good.
Not to my knowledge. They just got going a little over a year ago.

Darkhorse

I used to hunt turkeys on the old Ocmulgee WMA, back when it was nearly 40,000 acres. Deep inside the area was a small creek. Along the banks were large hardwoods and pines, palmettos grew in areas on the ground. Lillys grew in the wet soil.
I always got there way before daylight and sat against a tree just listening to the forest awaken. There were times I heard 8 or 10 birds all around me. It was a turkey hunters paradise.
One morning I waded in to a secluded spot and shot 2 birds. I had no way of knowing it was the last time I would hunt that creek. We moved that year and Ocmulgee was just a tad to far. So a few years later I made the drive,tried to walk in and was stopped by impenetrable brush in the dark. After daylight I got through the brush trying to make my way to the creek. But what I saw sickened me.
All the big old trees were gone. Just wide stumps remained. The creek banks were ravaged and made sterile.
Later I learned the timber company decided to sell off it's forest land and get out of Georgia so they went in and cut all the marketable timber.....right down to the waters edge. I had always thought by law a certain distance from the water could not be cut but these guys cut it all.
Until this thread I've never heard anyone complain about this practice, but me. And nobody wanted to hear it.
I hope this thread gets the attention it needs.

Gaswamp

I used to hunt turkeys on the old Ocmulgee WMA, back when it was nearly 40,000 acres. Deep inside the area was a small creek. Along the banks were large hardwoods and pines, palmettos grew in areas on the ground. Lillys grew in the wet soil.
I always got there way before daylight and sat against a tree just listening to the forest awaken. There were times I heard 8 or 10 birds all around me. It was a turkey hunters paradise.
One morning I waded in to a secluded spot and shot 2 birds. I had no way of knowing it was the last time I would hunt that creek. We moved that year and Ocmulgee was just a tad to far. So a few years later I made the drive,tried to walk in and was stopped by impenetrable brush in the dark. After daylight I got through the brush trying to make my way to the creek. But what I saw sickened me.
All the big old trees were gone. Just wide stumps remained. The creek banks were ravaged and made sterile.
Later I learned the timber company decided to sell off it's forest land and get out of Georgia so they went in and cut all the marketable timber.....right down to the waters edge. I had always thought by law a certain distance from the water could not be cut but these guys cut it all.
Until this thread I've never heard anyone complain about this practice, but me. And nobody wanted to hear it.
I hope this thread gets the attention it needs.
good post