Traditional or Inline

Geezer Ray

New to this forum so I am curious. How many traditional muzzle loaders are on here? I shoot flintlock because it just feels like I am more involved instead of just shooting.

leoparddog

I think my Late Lancaster Kit thread shows my interest. I also have a Hawkens .50 cal. I gave my inline away to a buddy. I don't have anything against modern inline ML rifles, but I never enjoyed shooting them like the traditional rifles.

Darkhorse

I shoot only flintlocks. I did have a caplock once a long time ago but only flintlocks interest me now.
There are a good many traditional shooters on this forum but you'd never know it as they never post anything in the muzzleloading section.
Seems like the same few of us are the only ones that post.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
All traditional here, both cap and flint.

Geezer Ray

I think my Late Lancaster Kit thread shows my interest. I also have a Hawkens .50 cal. I gave my inline away to a buddy. I don't have anything against modern inline ML rifles, but I never enjoyed shooting them like the traditional rifles.

Yes I have been reading your post, you have more talent then I do. I have a beautiful flintlock 45 curly maple made by Tom Stroh. I met him at Wilson Shoals range where I shoot weekly. His son has a web site Roy Strol who also builds guns. I squirrel hunt with a 32 my father in law made. I have percussion but don't use them. I do have a 58 cal musket that of course uses 4 wing musket caps.

leoparddog

Yes I have been reading your post, you have more talent then I do. I have a beautiful flintlock 45 curly maple made by Tom Stroh. I met him at Wilson Shoals range where I shoot weekly. His son has a web site Roy Strol who also builds guns. I squirrel hunt with a 32 my father in law made. I have percussion but don't use them. I do have a 58 cal musket that of course uses 4 wing musket caps.

Thanks for the compliment Geezer, but I have no talent compared to Darkhorse and SASS249. The only thing I can say about myself is I'm not scared to try.

Darkhorse

Don't cut yourself short leoparddog. I think you have a lot of natural talent. You are building your first rifle, something totally foreign to you, and doing a good job of it. Everything your learning on this one will be applied to the next one and I just bet you, that one will be a really nice rifle.
A lot of people just quit because building a rifle is just way beyond their capabilities and patience. But you've jumped right in there and getting it done right from the start.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Inline for me and love it...got a scope on it to , but do have an old hawkin that I also like to shoot, killed a buck with it 33yrs ago , I was 11 , at horse creek wma

Ga Waters

I'm one of the traditional shooters Dark Horse referred to. I take my 50 cal TC Hawkins to the range or a wma to chase pigs about 3 days a week. Can't think of anything more fun than using that firearm. One day I may get into flintlocks but for now they seem above my skill level.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say I've killed more deer with trad muzzleloaders than every other weapon put together. I love hunting with them.

Geezer Ray

I love having to wait for the smoke to go away to see where I hit. Yet to kill a hog with my 45 but pretty sure it will work just fine. 65 grains FFF .010 patch, .440 ball. FFFF in the pan and litem up.

snuffy

Traditional cap lock for me. I have three 32, 50 and 54 Cal. Never had a rock lock but one may be in my future.

wildcats

Have both and both are fun but for different reasons.
I prefer the trad because I like to pretend I'm Jeremiah Johnson when I shoot my Hawkens

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
54 cal TC Renegade is what I have shot since late 80’s. RB 80 grains ffg black powder
Jeff

kingfish

Have both and killed deer with both. But, I have a Remington Model 7 inline that has become my favorite. Killed a bunch of deer with it.