Chainsaw Advice

Hoot

I really liked the older Echo saws, but most of the newer ones I've run were junky, poorly designed, and always messing up.

Sorry (and surprised) that you had a bad experience with Echo. My string trimmer has been marvelously flawless, and a true gem, to boot. My 400 chainsaw has been the same (through 3 quite large trees). Both start like a champ, and parts can be found rather easily. Can't the same be said about my former "homeowner grade" Stihls. Both were really great...after they were finally running...and after I...FINALLY (only on fleabay), found parts to fix them, and keep them running great...like the great machines they...were).

But I will never do business with a company like Husky...who continually lies to their customers...(with their "badged or branded") parts. Screw them.

Robert28

I don't have much experience with Echo equipment. I know they have some weed eaters that lawn pro's like because of their light weight, but I don't hear much good reviews on their blowers and such. Chainsaws are a different story, you can find two random people and one will love them and one will curse them. I don't even have any local Echo dealers near me that I know of. One used to be Echo but switched to Stihl a few years ago. He never carried much Echo equipment(I never saw any commercial grade stuff) but his Stihl lineup is rather large and has a mix of homeowner and commercial equipment.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry (and surprised) that you had a bad experience with Echo. My string trimmer has been marvelously flawless, and a true gem, to boot. My 400 chainsaw has been the same (through 3 quite large trees). Both start like a champ, and parts can be found rather easily. Can't the same be said about my former "homeowner grade" Stihls. Both were really great...after they were finally running...and after I...FINALLY (only on fleabay), found parts to fix them, and keep them running great...like the great machines they...were).

But I will never do business with a company like Husky...who continually lies to their customers...(with their "badged or branded") parts. Screw them.

The old Echo string trimmers and saws were my favorite of any brand, spent thousands of hours running them, but I wouldn't trade my commercial FS85 Stihl string trimmer for two dozen of the new Echos. They're just not made like they used to be. For dependability, it's hard to beat Stihl commercial stuff. I hate that Echo went down that road, but the newer saws and trimmers sure don't hold up to daily commercial use. They're about like the box-store Huskys. To be clear and fair, I'm talking about stuff that's used pretty much every day, sometimes for hours a day. "Three quite large trees" would be half a day's work for the chainsaw use I'm talking about.

Big7

The Oracle
Do not ! Grind off the safety guide ! Even if you are a experienced saw man that can get you seriously injured ! I was cut In the back of the head due to a kick back and the foot both times the logging owner ground them down ! That is horrible advice to give someone not knowing there skill set or knowledge . Never do this unless you know exactly what your doing ! Even then it's dangerous

I thought that was implied. You are correct in that
you need a skill set that the OP may or may not have.

Having said all that. That's the first thing that goes on a saw in that cost range.

The heavy's don't have them and the "home owner's"
do because of liability.

I have done it to many a chain. Cuts faster and all you really need to do as far as kick-back is watch the tip.

Same as you HAVE to do with the heavy's.

If OP is not comfortable with that, I would say
"don't do it". On the other hand, I do it all the time.

My point was simply: For what OP is doing, IF I understand his thread............

You don't need a $1000.00 saw to get it done.
If you trick it out right.. IF OP is comfortable with that.

I'll take three for that and last longer and cut just as good.

And.. in an above post.. The Husky is much faster
but will not last as long as a Stihl and the Stihl
is a lot heavier.

Side note.. The heavy's have tool steel teeth.
You can't file them. Sure, they last a little longer
but the have to be ground.

In my above two post'.. Hit it with a file and go.

Really boils down to what you want. What you need . What you can afford.

Good luck...

one hogman

Lots of different opinions, I have owned Homelight, McCullough Stihl, Husky, Craftsman [OLD gear drive}, Echo and Poulan over the last 40 years, but day in day out I would pick a Stihl, I have on old 028 super AV German built Stihl that I have used close to 25 years,it was made right, wish I had it brand new, Stihl makes the best Chain IMO bar none, lots of good saws out there buy GOOD quality take care of it and it will wear you out :):)

tree cutter 08

That's odd you say that about stihls hard chains. Never had any trouble filling them. I have tried to hand file chains that have been ground, might as well file glass. Timber savage files seem to be the best. The yellow label chains are better than the green label. As far as mods go you'll be better keeping a saw as close to stock as possible for reliability. If you need a faster cutting saw, then buy a bigger saw. A 395xp with a 18 inch bar will cut fast as you want.

That's odd you say that about stihls hard chains. Never had any trouble filling them. I have tried to hand file chains that have been ground, might as well file glass. Timber savage files seem to be the best. The yellow label chains are better than the green label. As far as mods go you'll be better keeping a saw as close to stock as possible for reliability. If you need a faster cutting saw, then buy a bigger saw. A 395xp with a 18 inch bar will cut fast as you want.

I hand file my Stihl chains, and don't have any problems. Course I don't let them get stupid dull either. Try to use as new a file as possible.

My Stihl guy has even complimented my on how sharp my chains are. It takes some time, but hand filing makes my chains last 4-5 times as long.

I hand file my Stihl chains, and don't have any problems. Course I don't let them get stupid dull either. Try to use as new a file as possible.

My Stihl guy has even complimented my on how sharp my chains are. It takes some time, but hand filing makes my chains last 4-5 times as long.

I hand file mine also they will cut you open just dragging your finger on the edge if you aren't careful and I don't loan my saw to anyone ! Most don't know how to use a saw correctly and will get it in the dirt Everytime mess up all that hard work sharpening it

Big7

The Oracle
Guys and Gals..

I'm sure the heavys make a "fileable" chain.

What I can tell you for sure is:

The "big boys toys" with tool steel chains
WILL NOT FILE..

I've been in the tool and die bid-ness for over
30 years. I have tried it on a borrowed one.
Don't work.

If you have an after market chain... sure, it will file.

AND.. It would be cheaper to get a few after market
chains for general use and save the tool steel when you
gotta' go big.

There are fixtures available to grind the tool steel chains.
Bout' the cost of a chain. Works on Dremel, Dewalt, etc...

Believe me when I tell you a tool steel chain can't be filed.

Teeth: 65RC.. File about 61RC..

Anyway.. Get the two pack of Oregon chains.
Add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to a gallon of whatever
yer' favorite bar oil and you can roll with that.
That will make sure you don't have a stoppage.

RPM's NEED a lot of oil..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never met a saw chain yet in over 30 years of running saws that I couldn't file?

Big7

The Oracle
Never met a saw chain yet in over 30 years of running saws that I couldn't file?

Well then, you ain't hit the right chain.:bounce:

Send me a money order for about $40.00
and yer' make and length of chain.

I will get you one and UPS it to you.

I'll even loan you a saw file.

Now, with a condition:
There are such things as diamond files..
They will cut ANYTHING, including other diamonds.
That would be a possibility but they are super expensive.
In the $200.00 range. Yer' local shop can grind a few
for that much money. Around here, It's about $6.00 -
$8.00 for a twenty inch bar chain.

All this is moot though.
I think the OP was more interested in something
to use around the house / farm.
Not cuttin' trees for a living.

Be kool hillbilly. :bounce: ::ke:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Same here and they cut like the Devil is after them. Cutting Hickory all day long will take the edge off a little bit but 2 or 3 strokes with a good file on each tooth at the right angle and you're back in bidness.

SLUGGER

Just to follow up, went with the Stihl 251. Took down 6 trees this weekend and it worked great.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Whatever brand you decide on, please don't put any ethanol gas in your new saw.

I agree with this too..I hate to promote Racetrac, but the one on Bells Ferry road and I-575 HAS Ethonal Free gas; it is in all of my Cans for all of my lawn equipment.......STILL use Stabil though, without exception!

cjones

I went with a Stihl from a local dealer earlier this year when I had 5 sweet gums taken down that I needed to work up. I went with something smaller since I have a larger saw and needed something I could use for limbing easily. My dad and I both were amazed at how well that little saw cuts. Worked up those sweet gums like a champ!