mallard duck preserve hunts in n ga

across the river

I can't speak for other places but at our plantation we don't allow any other ducks shot other than the green heads and being where I am it's the only ones you will see so it's not hard to guess. As far as birds getting lose, we have a good enough setup that the birds don't leave, we know how many are released, if there are any left at the end of the season they are killed. You also prove my point, you said you don't care about pheasant, so it's only important if it's important to you, good to know

I don't hunt released quail, pheasant, or mallards(on purpose) but there is a huge difference. The survival rate of a released quail or pheasant is extremely low. Even if the bird does survive, the impact it has on wild populations is negligible based on studies, because a released pheasant or quail isn't going to show up in the next county, much less next state over like a duck. Any cross breeding would be localized, if it did happen to occur. A mallard, however, is prone to fly off. When skeeter branch used to actually band birds, we killed a handful of those birds in locations a long ways from where they were released. We killed another banded one with a Frost band on it that came from NC I believe it was. If it still exists, look up the Frost waterfowl band database, and see how far many of those tames traveled. A lot of them end up a long ways from where they were released. The biggest impact around here is many of the released mallards end up on the coast or in Florida or along the gulf coast and cross with mottled ducks. If you think tammie mallards don't have an impact, you are fooling yourself.

bullit

Suggest spending a little more money and time... take him on a guided hunt in Arkansas or similar. Get another father / son to join you and it can be a very rewarding experience. But then I've been on some real good ones and some that were duds, not the guides fault, just dealing with migratory birds.

Uptonongood

I’ve hunted release pheasants in order to train my dogs so it was only dog training and not hunting. As stated, release bird shooting is not hunting and as long as the parent emphasizes that, go ahead. The truly sad part is the unlikelihood that a youngster in Georgia or most other states, will ever get to experience really good waterfowl hunting without a guide on leased property. It has become a sign of the times.

Cadcom

Wiley Creek is a nice enough place to take a kid. Breakfast is excellent and they have blinds that a kid would enjoy. No it is not an "actual duck hunt" but it is a good time and kids love it. I won a hunt from my local DU event - it was a good time. I would definitely take a kid if interested.

M00d

Another option is to check out chris scalley with river through Atlanta. They guide duck hunts pretty close to Atlanta and to my knowledge its all wild birds but they do a pretty good job of getting you on them. Its wild duck hunting in Georgia so there is no guarantees, but he is incredibly knowledgeable and I can't think of a better way to get a kid into the sport