20g for duck hunting??

My 19 year old daughter is wanting to get into duckhunting. She has been the last two years with me, but just as an observer and not a hunter . I’m trying to figure out what gun would be appropriate for her to use. Being an entry-level Duck hunter myself, I am looking for some guidance here. Would a 20 gauge shotgun be appropriate for hunting ducks? A 20 gauge suits her much better than a 12 for recoil and weight, but I want to make sure that she would be able to kill a duck with this gun….. and if the answer is yes, what shells would you recommend for a 20 gauge

earlthegoat2

Smaller shotguns benefit more from the Uber-expensive tungsten and bismuth shot shell options.

A 3” gas operated 12 ga would be wel within most females tolerance to handle recoil as long as the stock fit.

All this said, I have killed a number of ducks with both 2 3/4 and 3” steel shot from a 20 ga. 30-40 yds is the max distance.

DRBugman85

My father shot a 20 gauge, 2 3/4 #4 for most of his life and put the smack down on them, My Grandson (13) is hunting with a Remington 870 20 gauge (3 inch) #4 steel and whacks them dead over decoys..