Winchester SXP 20 guage

wm742

My oldest daughter made mention that she wanted a shot gun when I asked her if she wanted her own rifle. I started looking and got a heck of a deal on a new 20 gauge field model with 26" barrel. Came with 3 chokes, couple different trigger locks, and all the tools.
I know they are made in turkey, but for the deal I got it was worth a try.

She loves it. Has been buying every box of 20 gauge shells she can get her hands on.

Christmas day she shot it as much as she could between rain showers.
Couple days later she got it back out and went through a whole case of clay pigeons. After about 3 throws from the slinger I got when I was in high school, you couldn't pay her to miss one. It was pretty impressive.

What was also impressive was the shot gun itself. Over 100 shells run through it and no jams, everything still feels tight. Action is super smooth. Its a dream to shoot compared to my 1300 12 gauge. For $250 brand new, It was well worth it. Not just because she likes it, but also the way it has performed so far.

Only pic I have of the gun. It's a little blurry. I should have got pics of her shooting, but it's hard to take pics and man the thrower at the same time.

Attachments

• 31938001404146993081702076161691.jpg
    31938001404146993081702076161691.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 38

Gator89

Good to hear your daughter enjoys the shooting sports.

Now invest in a battery operated pigeon thrower.

krizia829

That's awesome! Heck of a deal too! A pump won't really have any jams like a semi would. She just has to remember to pump after every shot when hunting and her adrenaline is pumping lol

Gun looks great in wood! Can't wait to get my girls shooting on their own so they can join us in the woods!

BeerThirty

That's the same firearm I bought my oldest son for his first gun.

It's a great shooter, well-built and very light. I did have some issues finding fitting sling attachments, so I had to take it to a gunsmith to modify.

Glad to hear it's working out well for your daughter.

JustinR06

I've got a waterfowl camo 3 1/2 inch version I won at a ducks unlimited banquet a few years ago and got my son the field model for christmas both in 12ga. They are great shooting guns especially for the price. Lots of times I use it over my Remington V3 semi auto.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
It's a great shotgun for twice the money, especially considering that they want $450 for a plastic Mossberg 500 nowadays...

My grandson The Kid got one for Christmas too. His is the compact youth model, with an 18" barrel, rib, chokes, and wood furniture. The forearm is also a little long, which gives a kid plenty to hang into without having to "reach for it".

He loves the thing. Says it's small size is perfect for carrying on a long hike after squirrels.

We've probably shucked it 500 times, and the already smooth action just gets better with use.

I think the SXP is the best deal out there for a pump gun, and I was able to re-claim my old 870 20 gauge... :bounce:

GregoryB.

I got one in camo with a bronze cerakote barrel for for under $300 shipped and FFL fees last summer. Shoots good. The fiber optic bead popped off and they sent me a new one. Wanted the 20 gauge due to a shoulder injury.

georgia_home

a friend just got one of these for christmas, from his family.

the silver-ish finish model. shoots pretty well. looks good. the grip felt a little thick compared to my 1187 ad 870. it pointed pretty well.

the forearm grip has very aggressive checkering. shooting doubles skeet, i was looking for a glove after the first round.

if i were looking, i would definitely consider these as a viable choice. the black/blue finish. the turks are improving their process.

lets see how it does over time. we shoot 20g about once a month, 50-100/day

Reactions: Dub

wm742

I definitely need a remote thrower. But as long as they want to shoot, I'll keep cocking that thing. The man whose land I deer hunt on has another place on the property where there is a 40' wide wind break down a section of planted pines. He said he was fine with us setting up a remote thrower there so we can shoot at different angles. We really can only shoot in one direction at Mom and Dads.

As far as a strap goes, she has already picked out and bought one. They make a kit where you can drill the magazine cap for a swivel. I did my 1300 back in high school, so I feel pretty confident doing it now. Drilling the stock is the hard part. But even that is easy if you take your time and start small and step up to the right size.

Her sister has a youth model 20 gauge. I'm not sure the brand. It looks like a nova clone. She got it right before covid, and 20s were pretty hard to find. It got put up at her moms house and forgot about. We are going to get it out Sunday and see how it does. If she shows any favor to her sisters sxp, Im going to be on the hunt for another.

Darien1

I got one of them in riot gun style. It's green but its a great little light weight gun that's about half the weight of my 12 gauge riot gun. If you're looking for a new self defense shot gun the 20 ga Winchester is a great buy

georgia_home

Yesterday was a 20g day! breaking this in think he’s/we are about 150 rounds of break in period. His only complaint, he is looking for a skeet choke. The chokes for these are ?browning? Pattern and run about 80$

nice day for shooting yesterday

IMG_2660.jpeg

wm742

We shot some Sun after noon. Gun still shoots fine, and I still can't believe how light it is.

She had her rescue GSP there and sort of stopped shooting so we could watch the dog. It was running around and pointing hard at the trash pile in the field.
So we started throwing the ball after a pigeon busted. Soon she would just take off at the shot chasing pieces of clay. Few of those were cool to see. Now if we start working on not chasing until we tell her too, she may make a good duck dog.

Robert28

The SXP is the fastest cycling pump gun on the market. I recently picked up the SX4 in 20 ga (waterfowl edition) and love it. My only 20 is a single shot H&R my grandparents gave me when I was a kid, I’d been wanting a semi auto for awhile.

georgia_home

had the same thing, the topper, dad gave me when I was 10 or so. stupid me! traded it. I was VERY young and stupid! Wish I still had that, if only for memory sake.

picked up a used 870-20 express a few years ago.

The SXP is the fastest cycling pump gun on the market. I recently picked up the SX4 in 20 ga (waterfowl edition) and love it. My only 20 is a single shot H&R my grandparents gave me when I was a kid, I’d been wanting a semi auto for awhile.

Robert28

had the same thing, the topper, dad gave me when I was 10 or so. stupid me! traded it. I was VERY young and stupid! Wish I still had that, if only for memory sake.

picked up a used 870-20 express a few years ago.
I misspoke, mines an NEF not an H&R. I think in excellent condition they’re only worth $150 tops but I’ll never sell mine, don’t think I’ll ever be hard up for $150. At least I hope not. I regret selling my Savage .243 they also gave me. It was a youth model but I still wish I had it. I use the NEF for a snake charmer.

BriarPatch99

Yesterday was a 20g day! breaking this in think he’s/we are about 150 rounds of break in period. His only complaint, he is looking for a skeet choke. The chokes for these are ?browning? Pattern and run about 80$

Trulock Chokes over in Whigham GA .... makes many chokes that fit this gun ... it is the Browning Invector Plus $26.99 Flush & $52.99 for extended style