Semi-Auto Shotgun Break In?

krizia829

Is there a way to "break in" a semi auto shotgun other than running heavy loads? I know most modern guns don't really need a break in but I finally got to shoot my Charles Daly 601 20Ga and as I already expected, it had a few jams with the first 25 shots. I say about 4-6 shells didn't cycle into the chamber. The rest cycled flawless. It was very random.

I'm not disappointed by any means, I actually loved the way it shoots! However, buying heavy loads will burn a hole in my pocket that I don't want to burn and was wondering if there's any tricks that might help?? Would love to use it this dove hunting season and duck hunting season too down here. Thanks!!

krizia829

Did you pull it apart and clean the packing grease from every moving part in the gas/inertia system? That stuff gets sticky
I gave the gun a quick clean, put small drops of oil on moving parts and racked the bolt a few times. I put it away with the bolt locked open (not sure if that helps at all). Didn't give it a detail clean though

krizia829

I ran 100 rounds of cheap target low brass loads through mine. A few hiccups on the first box but never again.
Which model gun do you have?? Just for reference

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have an RIA semi auto 12ga and I lubed it well with Weapon Shield but a guy on Youtube mentioned about greasing the mag tube where the piston slides. It helped until it got fully broken in.

ryanh487

I gave the gun a quick clean, put small drops of oil on moving parts and racked the bolt a few times. I put it away with the bolt locked open (not sure if that helps at all). Didn't give it a detail clean though
Detail clean it. Soak it, scrub it, wipe it down, lube it up. It will make a big difference. Always do that with any new gun for best results, that factory grease gets nasty fast.

krizia829

Detail clean it. Soak it, scrub it, wipe it down, lube it up. It will make a big difference. Always do that with any new gun for best results, that factory grease gets nasty fast.
I will try that! Thank you!

Robert28

Beretta recommended to shoot 50 light loads and 50 heavy loads when I got my a300 and that seemed to work as I didn’t have any issues. I put my new gun in the sonic cleaner and oiled it up before shooting it. I won’t have to clean it again for another 100 rounds.

Jester896

Senior Clown
i wouldn't judge it from the first 25 shots. if it has an issue it should smooth out after a 100 or so. I remember my Benelli would hang a little with the cheaper Winchester target load I used to break it in.

What round does it hang on..1st...2nd or a mix? How manageable is the recoil for you?

Dub

Brought my SBE3 home from the ffl and wiped off all the lube/preservative/whatever it was...then re-lubed it with a good gun oil that I've been impressed with, Wilson Combat Ultima Lube.

Next morning went out and ran a box of 3.5" duck loads and two boxes of light target loads through it. Zero troubles.

Came home and cleaned it again....relubed and have been using it on occasional trips to the clays range.

krizia829

i wouldn't judge it from the first 25 shots. if it has an issue it should smooth out after a 100 or so. I remember my Benelli would hang a little with the cheaper Winchester target load I used to break it in.

What round does it hang on..1st...2nd or a mix? How manageable is the recoil for you?
I know the first 25 shots isn't a determination of quality. Was just thinking of what I can do to speed up the process without having to spend a bunch on shells.

It did it at random really.. We did a few fast shots that cycled well and some hung up. We were shooting Federal Top Gun 2-3/4" # 8's.

Recoil isn't a problem for me. I can shoot a bunch in a day without a problem. I'll be sore but nothing I can't handle. That's what I love about 20ga

krizia829

Brought my SBE3 home from the ffl and wiped off all the lube/preservative/whatever it was...then re-lubed it with a good gun oil that I've been impressed with, Wilson Combat Ultima Lube.

Next morning went out and ran a box of 3.5" duck loads and two boxes of light target loads through it. Zero troubles.

Came home and cleaned it again....relubed and have been using it on occasional trips to the clays range.
I have some loose duck loads at home I can try out. I'm gonna give it a good cleaning too when I have some free time at home. Thanks!

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
I wonder if the new gun might just be a little tight and when shooting it may get out of the pockets just a little or held off from the pocket slightly is why I asked about recoil. Not giving it a good sound mitigation may contribute a small amount if they are stove piping a little or catching the ejected shell in the action. Might try cleaning the piston system more and give it another go.

kinda the same thing that happens when you let a pistol get a little whippy with the wrist

K80Shooter

Also get you a good bore brush and clean the chamber.

The federal shells seem to be bad for sticking in the chambers. I will not shoot them in any of my shotguns.

krizia829

Also get you a good bore brush and clean the chamber.

The federal shells seem to be bad for sticking in the chambers. I will not shoot them in any of my shotguns.
The cycling issues I was getting is loading from the magazine tube into the chamber. Didn't have a single one stick in the chamber. They all ejected perfect. The issue was getting the next shell into the chamber. It would get stuck with the primer end of the shell up, and the front of the shell still down towards the magazine tube. I had to pull the bolt back and with my finger pull the new shell back and into the chamber

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The cycling issues I was getting is loading from the magazine tube into the chamber. Didn't have a single one stick in the chamber. They all ejected perfect. The issue was getting the next shell into the chamber. It would get stuck with the primer end of the shell up, and the front of the shell still down towards the magazine tube. I had to pull the bolt back and with my finger pull the new shell back and into the chamber
If you did not totally clean all of the factory preservative out of every area of the gun, plus being new, I can see it hanging up that little bit.
Gun Scrubber or Rubbing Alcohol on all accessible parts will do get rid of the factory gunk. Then lube well. It will settle in. An informal clay target shoot will have it broken in quickly, plus you'll have fun.