Building a new "adventure vehicle" or I guess, my retirement exploration vehicle.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Yeah, I am sure some people are gonna hate on this in light of some of the threads in this particular forum, but it really does not bother me. I love to hunt, fish, explore, prospect and rock hound in out of the way places, and I like to do so with the ability to stay in the location off grid for sometimes a week or more so at the time. The vehicle I am building will hopefully make it that much more comfortable for me to do so.

The vehicle that is going to be the foundation of my build is a 2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon trim. Unfortunately, I had to get it in automatic transmission simply because there is a recall on the clutches in the standard transmission vehicles and no new ones will be available until at least early fall 2023 and beside from the fact that I wanted the build completed by then to take my bird dogs out west for a week or two of hunting prairie chickens and western quail. The 2024 JTs will have a new body style and that always plays havoc with getting mods done right off the bat. The truck has the tow package which includes a higher output alternator and extra payload. There will be the trail camera and the backup camera. The axles are Dana 44s, both front and rear and are geared 4.10.

On the truck itself I am doing a number of modifications before I take delivery, fortunately our Jeep dealer allows that with an off road shop in Albany GA and it gets covered by the warranty. Bumpers; I am replacing the front bumper with an ARB bumper upon which I will be mounting a Warn 10,000 Zion Winch with a synthetic rope/cable (whatever you want to call it). The rear bumper will be getting replaced down the road with an Expedition One Dual Swing Arm bumper and tire carrier, they are back ordered for roughly 8 months so it will have to wait.

Suspension: the suspension is going to be the Dobinson's 3 inch lift with their heaviest duty coil springs (the rear are rated 1,100 lbs) and reservoir shocks which are adjustable (also Dobinson's). For those that are not familiar with Dobinson's, they are an Australian company well known internationally for making some of the best suspensions for off road vehicles that are going to be carrying a heavy load.

Fuel & Misc: I will be getting the Long Range America Aux 17 gal. fuel tank for the Gladiator. That will give me almost double the stock fuel capacity so I can stay off grid that much longer without having to worry about fuel. I am getting the Genesis dual battery system with two Group 25 Odyssey AGM batteries to keep my in cab electronics running when parked plus it deletes that battery system that comes with the Gladiator and the automatic "shut off while stopped" feature that everyone hates. Plus, an AEV snorkel with pre-filter. I will be raising all my diff breather tubes and any other breathers that are low to just below the truck hood. I will be getting the KO2 35" 10 ply (e rated) tires. Getting heavy duty brake system also, because of the load and being offroad a good bit. I am holding off on getting it regeared to see how it handles everything beforehand or if I decide to go with 37" tires. The Gladiator is getting prepped right now with the modifications mentioned above.

Now for the fun stuff. I will be getting (already purchased and waiting for the truck to be finished with the mods and for me to get the time to go get it installed) the Alu Cab Canopy Camper. If you are not familiar with them, they are a lightweight "wedge style" camper mounted on the truck, they are not a slide in. These campers are made in South Africa and are the "go to" campers for the Safari Industry in South Africa. They have been made for awhile now and tested in some of the harshest conditions in Africa for durability, function and comfort.

Of course, the camper comes with a lot of "addon options" and I will be getting a few of them. I am getting the 270 Shadow Awning, the Shower Cube. the water tank, a propane tank and tank holder plumed to the heater and to use with a camp stove (exterior mounted), water pump, and the Dickenson 900 propane heater (made for sailboats but adopted for this particular camper). I am getting a lot of little mods, to many to mention right now. For the "house electronics" for the time being I am getting a 100ah Lithium Ion battery with a Redarc Management system and a 1500 inverter and 200 Wat solar panels mounted under the load bars. There will be a DC/DC charger that allows the house battery to charge from the alternator when there is no sun. The management system will optimize solar before alternator when the sun is available.

The reason I am going this route is that I want to still be able to get away from a lot of people, have an offroad capable camper for which there simply are not a lot of options plus going with the off-road trailer costs almost as much, if not more with the comforts I can have with this and I do not like the idea of pulling a trailer to some of my secret fishing spots in the Rocky Mountains. There simply is not other modern truck available in the US as offroad capable as the Gladiator Rubicon, hence that being my choice. My build is basically the same build in this video (they are who is handling the second part of the build) except my suspension will be a little bit heavier duty and they have 37" tires, which I can go to with my lift and just regear if I want to go that route. Is this going to be cheap? Nope! But for what I like to do and the places I like to go to for fishing and hunting, this build will be perfect. I should be having pictures before too long.

Last edited:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
What's the wheel base on that rig?
137 Inch. It won't have the same departure angle as my JKUR, but for where I plan on taking it, there won't be any problems. I have seen a number of JTRs on most of the trails I joy ride on in Colorado to include Black Bear Pass, which I would not take this on. It is the solid front axle with the sway-bar disconnect that lets it handle some rock gardens that IFS vehicles have a hard time dealing with, not to mention the front locking diffs. The JTR has a pretty good bit more weight rating than Tacos do, and Tacos are one of the trucks that a lot of these campers go on. Like everything in life, there are trade-offs.

Big7

The Oracle
I ain't no hater but that's out of my budget for an exploration vehicle.

I'm working on a Grand Caravan and have found a plethora of good ideas on YouTube and various "Boondock'in" groups on the net and Facebook Groups dedicated to "Boondock'in".

Boondock'in is a thing and a lot of people are doing it for various reasons.

My goal is similar to yours in some respects. I need dry storage and a place to sleep for several days at the time only getting a hotel room or a truck stop shower as the need arises.

I've already got a bed and a locking gun cabinet that fits under it so I'll have a somewhat secure place to store guns and my expensive fishing reels. I'll take some rods and reels that are not so expensive as well.

Looking for ideas to cool the cabin without running the engine. I can handle cold a lot better than heat.

Good luck on your endeavor and I'll be watching this thread.

PS.. Look up "boondock'in" and boon docking. A lot of folks have figured most of this stuff out and don't mind sharing their knowledge.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits

I'm working on a Grand Caravan and have found a plethora of good ideas on YouTube and various "Boondock'in" groups on the net and Facebook Groups dedicated to "Boondock'in".

My goal is similar to yours in some respects. I need dry storage and a place to sleep for several days at the time only getting a hotel room or a truck stop shower as the need arises.

I've already got a bed and a locking gun cabinet that fits under it so I'll have a somewhat secure place to store guns and my expensive fishing reels. I'll take some rods and reels that are not so expensive as well.

Looking for ideas to cool the cabin without running the engine. I can handle cold a lot better than heat.

PS.. Look up "boondock'in" and boon docking. A lot of folks have figured most of this stuff out and don't mind sharing their knowledge.
I am very familiar with boon docking. Been doing it since I was old enough to drive and I will be 62 years old in a few weeks. A long time ago I "boon docked" in Alaska for a number of months out of a Toyota SR5 4x4 with a used "camper shell". Back then the Alcan was still unpaved except for around Whitehorse Yukon. I will be making a trip to Alaska in this vehicle and spend a month or two chasing fish runs, etc....This truck can get me down old mining roads that I know about, that lots of vehicles couldn't get down. Back in the day, we just called it "living out of your vehicle" or "truck camping". This vehicle is gonna have a shower cube, water pump, and I will probably get me a propane water heater, these cost just a couple of hundred dollars. This way, I can shower in the middle of nowhere. I camp in the Rockies, North Woods in Maine or UP of Michigan, etc... pretty much every year at least once, but now I can cut back on work and plan to do it a lot more often.

Big7

The Oracle
I will probably carry a canoe, it is easier for me to cast a fly rod out of those than a kayak.
I'm looking at the weight difference because I'll be taking some trips out west and trying to save gas and the fact that I'll be alone with no help to load and unload it on the roof. I can cast pretty good from a Kayak, the "sit on top" kind anyway.

Never have tried from a "sit in" like you whitewater in.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I'm looking at the weight difference because I'll be taking some trips out west and trying to save gas and the fact that I'll be alone with no help to load and unload it on the roof. I can cast pretty good from a Kayak, the "sit on top" kind anyway.

Never have tried from a "sit in" like you whitewater in.
They have some Kevlar canoes now that are as light as my kayaks. They will probably be used in the north woods more than anywhere else chasing large brookies and smallmouths with a fly rod.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits

There are a lot of places you can get to in those vans. The summer of 1990 my son and myself spent the summer on the road seeing America. It was the summer before my last year in Grad School, I borrowed my fathers Chevy Van that had a sink, a couch that folded out to a bed if you removed the table and we hit the road. My son turned 8 on the trip. We camped in tents most of the trip. In the Rocky Mountain National Park, on the Olympic Peninsular, the UP of Michigan just to name a few of the places we spent time. Did a lot of fishing, the State of Montana actually made a video of my fly fishing and put it in one of their Ads, "visit Montana" when I was fishing at Glacier NP. Of course we could not really explore on the BLM & FS Roads because the van was not made for off road. We mainly stayed in campgrounds as opposed to dispersed/boon dock camping once again we were limited to what roads I felt comfortable traveling. I have always had a little bit of gypsy blood my momma has always said, and I have been fortunate that I have made a good living so that I could afford to follow my dreams. In my younger years I did things on a tight budget, being in the military and then going to college and grad school.....I now am lucky to be able to continue to chase my dreams and not have to do it on a tight budget.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I will probably carry a canoe, it is easier for me to cast a fly rod out of those than a kayak.
Don't discount the "new" sit on yaks. They are as stable a platform you'll find. Heck, my son has incorporated a casting deck behind the seat. A micro power pole setup for stake out on the transom. The "bicycle" powered mechanism can be removed for shallow water ops when hand paddling. Only negative aspect is added weight for a top carry, getn it up and down, but your setup would be minimal.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Yeah, I am sure some people are gonna hate on this in light of some of the threads in this particular forum, but it really does not bother me. I love to hunt, fish, explore, prospect and rock hound in out of the way places, and I like to do so with the ability to stay in the location off grid for sometimes a week or more so at the time. The vehicle I am building will hopefully make it that much more comfortable for me to do so.

The vehicle that is going to be the foundation of my build is a 2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon trim. Unfortunately, I had to get it in automatic transmission simply because there is a recall on the clutches in the standard transmission vehicles and no new ones will be available until at least early fall 2023 and beside from the fact that I wanted the build completed by then to take my bird dogs out west for a week or two of hunting prairie chickens and western quail. The 2024 JTs will have a new body style and that always plays havoc with getting mods done right off the bat. The truck has the tow package which includes a higher output alternator and extra payload. There will be the trail camera and the backup camera. The axles are Dana 44s, both front and rear and are geared 4.10.

On the truck itself I am doing a number of modifications before I take delivery, fortunately our Jeep dealer allows that with an off road shop in Albany GA and it gets covered by the warranty. Bumpers; I am replacing the front bumper with an ARB bumper upon which I will be mounting a Warn 10,000 Zion Winch with a synthetic rope/cable (whatever you want to call it). The rear bumper will be getting replaced down the road with an Expedition One Dual Swing Arm bumper and tire carrier, they are back ordered for roughly 8 months so it will have to wait.

Suspension: the suspension is going to be the Dobinson's 3 inch lift with their heaviest duty coil springs (the rear are rated 1,100 lbs) and reservoir shocks which are adjustable (also Dobinson's). For those that are not familiar with Dobinson's, they are an Australian company well known internationally for making some of the best suspensions for off road vehicles that are going to be carrying a heavy load.

Fuel & Misc: I will be getting the Long Range America Aux 17 gal. fuel tank for the Gladiator. That will give me almost double the stock fuel capacity so I can stay off grid that much longer without having to worry about fuel. I am getting the Genesis dual battery system with two Group 25 Odyssey AGM batteries to keep my in cab electronics running when parked plus it deletes that battery system that comes with the Gladiator and the automatic "shut off while stopped" feature that everyone hates. Plus, an AEV snorkel with pre-filter. I will be raising all my diff breather tubes and any other breathers that are low to just below the truck hood. I will be getting the KO2 35" 10 ply (e rated) tires. Getting heavy duty brake system also, because of the load and being offroad a good bit. I am holding off on getting it regeared to see how it handles everything beforehand or if I decide to go with 37" tires. The Gladiator is getting prepped right now with the modifications mentioned above.

Now for the fun stuff. I will be getting (already purchased and waiting for the truck to be finished with the mods and for me to get the time to go get it installed) the Alu Cab Canopy Camper. If you are not familiar with them, they are a lightweight "wedge style" camper mounted on the truck, they are not a slide in. These campers are made in South Africa and are the "go to" campers for the Safari Industry in South Africa. They have been made for awhile now and tested in some of the harshest conditions in Africa for durability, function and comfort.

Of course, the camper comes with a lot of "addon options" and I will be getting a few of them. I am getting the 270 Shadow Awning, the Shower Cube. the water tank, a propane tank and tank holder plumed to the heater and to use with a camp stove (exterior mounted), water pump, and the Dickenson 900 propane heater (made for sailboats but adopted for this particular camper). I am getting a lot of little mods, to many to mention right now. For the "house electronics" for the time being I am getting a 100ah Lithium Ion battery with a Redarc Management system and a 1500 inverter and 200 Wat solar panels mounted under the load bars. There will be a DC/DC charger that allows the house battery to charge from the alternator when there is no sun. The management system will optimize solar before alternator when the sun is available.

The reason I am going this route is that I want to still be able to get away from a lot of people, have an offroad capable camper for which there simply are not a lot of options plus going with the off-road trailer costs almost as much, if not more with the comforts I can have with this and I do not like the idea of pulling a trailer to some of my secret fishing spots in the Rocky Mountains. There simply is not other modern truck available in the US as offroad capable as the Gladiator Rubicon, hence that being my choice. My build is basically the same build in this video (they are who is handling the second part of the build) except my suspension will be a little bit heavier duty and they have 37" tires, which I can go to with my lift and just regear if I want to go that route. Is this going to be cheap? Nope! But for what I like to do and the places I like to go to for fishing and hunting, this build will be perfect. I should be having pictures before too long.

Sound like an EXTREMELY CAPABLE, and well thought out vehicle to me.

A man oughta be able to do an over-the-top, just the way you want it project, once in awhile.

Let the haters hate, I'm gonna keep track of thissun'!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I'm gonna hate on you just because you ain't takin' me with you.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Don't discount the "new" sit on yaks. They are as stable a platform you'll find. Heck, my son has incorporated a casting deck behind the seat. A micro power pole setup for stake out on the transom. The "bicycle" powered mechanism can be removed for shallow water ops when hand paddling. Only negative aspect is added weight for a top carry, getn it up and down, but your setup would be minimal.
I actually have a couple of sit on yaks, To me they are a pain to fly fish out of. I am always getting my fly line caught on something or other. I broke off a really nice snook, one of the larger ones I have ever hooked, a few years back down in the Keys fishing out of one of my Kayaks because my line was caught on something or other on my yak.

Last edited: